Wattpad Original

Chapter 82

As we approached the gate, the truck in front – the one originally from Ironwind – veered to the side, looping around in a slow circle. The driver waved out the open window and called to the other vehicles, "Welcome to Ironwind! We're heading back out, but we'll see you later tonight."

The remaining vehicles continued to the open gate, where a small group of people were waiting for them. Their slow pace and the cleaner pavement meant the tires weren't throwing much dust in the air. I came to a stop behind the truck as the greeters had a quick word with the first driver and waved the entire procession through the gate.

As they drove inside, the welcoming group jogged alongside the vehicles, still talking with the driver. Jess gazed around, trying to take in everything at once. A few other people started drifting this way, likely to offer their assistance or help unload.

The drivers parked beside the main building and turned off their vehicles. They got out and stretched as they looked around. I remained sitting in the side-by-side with Jess as the greeters started mingling with the guests. Somehow, I wasn't too surprised when Nina and Daniel came around the corner.

"Alex, you're here earlier than I expected," Nina greeted a mostly bald man standing beside the middle van.

He grinned and inclined his head. "Good to see you, Nina. You too, Daniel. One of the women was up at the crack of dawn and dragged us out of bed at five o'clock. Even had breakfast and everything ready."

"An ambitious assistant?"

"Ah, no. A sister to someone here."

I glanced at Jess, who was turning red. She ducked her head and mumbled, "I was so excited I couldn't fall back to sleep once I woke up."

"Well," Nina said, "thank you for giving them a lift here. It's a bit early for lunch, but would you like to eat before we start comparing notes?"

"Why don't we catch up first? That way our stomachs will force us to take a break in an hour or so."

"That works for me. Daniel, do you wish to join us?"

"Thanks, but I'll pass. I can help unload once the newcomers start their tour. After that, I'll go for a quick patrol to check the borders. If you need anything, I'll have my radio with me."

Nina nodded and continued talking with the man who was also undoubtedly a scientist. As he spoke, he opened the side door of the van and started digging through the boxes and bags piled there.

Most of the travelers gathered into three loose groups, making it easy to tell who had come with Jess, which ones were accompanying the scientist, and which individuals were escorts from the previous Stronghold.

"I thought a zombie's eyes were supposed to be red?" Jess whispered to me, gawking at Daniel's brown eyes.

Daniel glanced at us with an amused grin, letting his eyes flicker red for a moment, before turning back to the discussion.

"We can camouflage them if we choose," I muttered, narrowing my eyes at Daniel, although he had no way of seeing it with his back turned.

"Did he really hear me?" she asked, this attempt at whispering being much quieter than her previous one.

"Oh yeah. And if he was paying attention, he would have heard that too."

The jackass by the van nodded idly, confirming my suspicions. But his behavior was the zombie version of accepting Jess into his closer circle of friends by avoiding secrets, so it was hard to be overly irritated with him. Or so logic tried to tell me.

If nothing else, it had been a few years since I had last seen Jess's face this red. Perhaps this could serve as her first lesson in the long road of remembering that zombies weren't merely humans with an infection in their blood.