ten.

alex couldn't do anything but stare at justin. he was frozen. his finger was frozen, hovering over the trigger. justin didn't know it wouldn't pull. justin didn't know it wasn't loaded.

justin had dropped anything he could have been holding and hurried over to him, his hand lightly gripping alex's littler wrist. the one with the gun in it. he was knelt down in front of him, not breaking their eye contact as he lowered alex's arm back to his side.

tears had filled in alex's eyes before he could stop them. what if he really had been about to hurt himself? what if justin never came over and a bullet had been in the chamber? was it bad that he wished a bullet in the chamber?

justin took the gun from alex's hand, so gently that alex only noticed it when his fingers released it. alex was sure he had never seen justin be so gentle, not even with jessica. he ducked his head, refusing to let justin see him cry if it was going to happen.

arms wrapped around alex's entire being, a forehead leaned against his. "you're okay, right?" he whispers, holding him so tightly that alex could hardly breathe.

"it wasn't loaded, justin," alex's voice is more like a breath, afraid that if he got any louder, he would crack and slip between justin's arms like the puddle he was. he was like an ice sculpture; beautiful, but slowly melting into nothing.

it wasn't loaded, but he wished it was loaded.

MESSAGES.
jessica  2:23pm
are you not coming over anymore?

jessica  2:28pm
justin.

jessica  2:45pm
don't bother. i'm going to sheri's.