wide awake

Estella opened her eyes to find herself staring at a wooden ceiling

Estella opened her eyes to find herself staring at a wooden ceiling. The first thought that came to her head was she was back at home, but the ceiling was way to worn to be her home. She slowly sat up and scratched the back of her head, finding her hair matted and dirty. Her entire left side was covered in a black paste that was both wet and dry at the same time. Estella had no recollection of where she was or why she was covered in black paste. But as she glanced out the open door, it all came rushing back to her. The expedition, the monster, Conrad, the wound.

"Hello?" she called, her voice unexpectedly rough.

No one answered and she swung the straw like blanket off of her. She yanked it back on in surprise once she found herself in just her undergarments. Estella glanced around the room and found her clothes in a neat pile in the corner. Darting across the room, Estella slipped on her clothes lightning fast and stepped out into the harsh sun.

She didn't recognize anything or anyone. Conrad must've brought her here after she passed out. Estella noted she was in a village surrounded by what seemed to be the natives of the island. Her quick eyes hunted for the rest of her team.

"She's awake!" Mason's recognizable voice screamed.

Estella turned and was enveloped in a tight embrace.

"Thank god you're alive," Mason whispered.

"What the hell happened?" Estella inquired.

"I'll tell you," Conrad spoke up.

•••

"You're kidding me right? An entire civilization and a guy who has been here for over 20 years?" Estella shouted in disbelief.

"I really wish I was," Conrad comforted her by placing a hand on her shoulder.

Estella looked down at her left side and was almost appalled at what the Iwis had put on her. It was octopus ink and dung from whatever animal was at the lake. She wasn't in the mood to complain as it seemed to be healing the wound and the infection that caused her to pass out in the first place.

Estella instinctively flinched backwards when Conrad moved his hand to her forehead. He waited until she was no longer frightened to place a hand on her head.

"No fever, and you seem to be walking fine," Conrad stated, "You'll be all healed in no time."

Conrad removed his hand and smiled. Estella awkwardly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and cast her eyes down. But she never expected Conrad to grab her chin and tip her head up to face him. His other hand ran over the cuts on her face.

"We should get these bandaged up to," Conrad ordered.

Estella slowly shook her head.

"I'm fine," she promised.

"Don't take this the wrong way but when you say you're fine in a time like this, you're not fine," Conrad said with a smirk.

Estella snorted and rolled her eyes.

"Alright, you got me. Go get me some bandages then Captain," Estella teased.

Conrad smiled and stalked away from her. She watched him walk all the way across the field into what she assumed was the medical tent.

"Oh my god you guys are so cute together," Mason squealed.

"Shut up Mason."

Last update for today! Next chapter will be out on Thursday!

-Em;)