demons

James hadn't left Estella's side since the incident

James hadn't left Estella's side since the incident. Granted it was only a bit afterwards. The "boat" was momentarily left on the sand as they journeyed to meet Packard and his remaining men. James' warm hand was clasped tightly around her own.

"Their flare was only two clicks north, they should be here soon," James announced as the group sat around a clear river, filling their canteens of water. Houston and San talked quietly nearby.

Slivko and Mason were sitting together on the rocky shore as Hank was bent down by the riverbed.

"Unless they were eaten by something that was bigger than us," Mason mumbled under her breath.

The sudden and loud crackling of branches alerted the group to the presence of others. As Estella reached for her small rifle now attached to her hip, Slivko leapt to his feet and cheered excitedly.

Packard and a small group of soldiers emerged from the brush. Both Slivko and Estella rushed to meet their fellow soldiers. Everyone was embracing and cheering.

"Who the hell is this?" Packard inquired and everyone turned to see.

"We picked up a hitchhiker," James explained.

"Lieutenant Hank Marlow of the 55th pursuit squadron of the 15th," Hank explained so quickly even Estella didn't catch all of it.

Packard looked both surprised and impressed.

"You've been here since World War 2?" Packard asked.

"Yes sir. I miss the parade?" Hank joked.

"Well I'll be damned. Snap to it Lieutenant," Packard said loudly and saluted.

Hank followed his motion as James said "We're gonna get him home sir."

"If we follow this river we'll make it to the boat and make it to the north shore in time," James continued.

Estella slowly made her way to James side but decided against lacing her fingers into his.

"Sounds good," Packard commented, "But we're not leaving yet."

Everyone gave Packard a confused and pointed look. Estella glanced out of her peripheral to see James' expression. It was less then pleased.

"We still got a man out there," Packard explained.

"Wait a second you've got someone out there?" Estella snapped.