**4 Letter Word- Hand**

After running around aimlessly, I started back to my parents dingy apartment. The four story apartment complex we lived in housed mostly middle-aged working- class tenants. Very few had kids, so the place was usually quiet.

Sedate.

Anna's sister Mell had always said it reminded her of one of those retirement apartment buildings. She kind of had a point. It was always at moments like this her memory's would resurface leaving me with this empty feeling.

I headed into the open hallway, taking the first metal staircase. Proud that I wasn't looking over my shoulder every five seconds like a paranoid freak I used to be, I rounded the fourth floor and reminded myself the billionth time to move out of this apartment.

Possibly the only way to maintain some sort of resemblance of normalcy was by thinking about insignificant things. That way, it didn't feel like my so called life was crumbling apart like a pastry.

Stopping in front of the apartment door, I tipped my head as I put the key in the lock.

Things would be okay. They had-

A sharp shiver shot across my shoulders. It was so strong that I couldn't ignore it. It was menacing, heavy and dark. Choking. I was being watched again. As my door inched open. I looked over my shoulder, down the hall.

There he stood, the man from the parking area. He moved closer and my feet locked itself to the ground. No longer moving.

A cold breath of fear trickled down my throat.

As I reached into my purse, digging around for my cell phone. I needed someone and I needed to get the fuck out of here.

My fingers flew over the keypad-

A hand clamped down on my shoulder, spinning me around. I shrieked as my bag slipped from my arm, hitting the carpeted floor.

I was face to face with the man from the hallway. My brain couldn't process anything for a second because it was impossible that he was in my apartment. I'd seen him at the end of the hall. No one could move that fast.