Dying

It was very painful. That's all I have to say. When I jumped in front of that bus, when I died, none of that superficial nonsense occured, no. My life did not "flash before my eyes", there were no angels descending from the stars to escort me to the heavens. What really, truly happened was this: the bus hit me, I passed out for approximately a minute, I woke up, and it hurt. Everything hurt so badly, even (peculiarly) inside my chest as I tried to say goodbye to John. Then I was cut off mid-sentence, and that hurt too. Much worse than all the wounds on my body and all the thoughts in my head put together.

I felt a ripping sensation, as if my insides were fighting their way out of my body, except it was all over. I tried to scream, but no sound came out of my mouth. I felt sluggish and useless, almost as if I wasn't there. Suddenly, the world flickered, in and out of focus for a single, horrible instant.

Upon opening my eyes, I found that I was standing up again, right in front of John. I swear, I tried. Tried to tell him I was alive, that everything was alright, but his horror stricken face only twitched for a split second.

He couldn't hear me.

Quite a startling realization.

That's when I noticed the change. Around me, the glow of the streetlights was not a glow anymore; rather a glare. The cold, gray buildings stood out prominently against the inky blackness of the shadows and dark, junky gray alleyways. There was my blood, a bright scarlet color sharp with painful clarity, splashed carelessly on the street. And then there was John. His face had opened up, raw and spilling with emotions. Every color on him clashed. As I watched, a bright, sparkling tear ran a track down, down his cheek, through the air, onto my ebony lashes, all the while shimmering like a diamond. This was the gruesome, terrible place I'd known the world to be, even while it'd been hidden behind a thin veil of reason so that our puny, incomprehensive human brains could cope.

Wait. My lashes. My eyes. My face. My body.

How could I be looking at myself, when I was clearly standing right here? That was utterly impossible. But once the impossible has been eliminated, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. So I collected the facts.

1) I seem to be in two places at once

2) I was hit by a bus

3) I couldn't have survived the fatal hit

4) John thinks I am dead

Hypothesis: I am dead.

A/N so what did you guys think? Does it sound ok from Sherly's pov? I know this was a short chapter but I think the next one will be longer :P