05 | The First Chapter

Rose was eleven when things began to go sour. Everything began to fall apart and her world would change forever once more

Like when her treatments in Lumiose City started to fail and she quickly grew frail and shook like a leaf would in a hurricane. On many occasions, she couldn't eat by herself and needed help.

Rose could never imagine that her parents would start arguing.

"We need to go back home, Evelyn!" Her dad had said. He slammed his fist on the table, making the spoon in her mother's coffee cup rattle. 

She jumped, startled. "Do you want Rose to die?"

"She is dying anyway! I miss my mom. I want to spend as much time as I can with her."

"Rose isn't suffering as much when she gets treated, Nick." She said curtly. "I don't want our daughter to suffer and you are being selfish."

"Me being selfish?" Nick spat angrily. "I want to see my family before they're gone!"

"In place of your daughter suffering. You know what happens when she isn't treated. It's excruciating for her. You'd be taking care of her more than you got to go out to see your family."

"Not everything is about her!" 

"Nick! This is life and death! Your family, our family understands the situation we are in!" Rose's mother exclaimed. 

"I want to go home." Nick gritted his teeth. "With or without you."

Hurt flashed through Rose's mother's eyes. "I see how it is."

Later that week, Rose's dad had packed up his things and he was gone. On the other hand, Rose's mom had begun to pack up too.

"Where are we going, mom?" Rose asked.

"We are going to find you another hospital. Maybe this time they'll be able to help you better." Her mother said, placing things in boxes. 

Rose held a sketchbook in her arms. She had picked up the love of art staying in Kalos. The region was so full of it, it was a wonder how someone could not like art. It was a relaxing pastime anyway to Rose and she found she was very good at it.

"Do you know what region we are going to this time?"

"Yes, and I know exactly what town we are moving to."

"Town?" Rose said in shock. She had never really lived in a town more than a couple days at a time. They seemed so boring. Especially that one town she couldn't quite remember anymore.

"Yes Rose and I think you'll love it."

"What's the town called? What region is it?"

Her mom laughed. "Patience Rosebud."

~ ~ ~

Rose sat in a meadow of flowers behind her house. The flower's scents were almost intoxicating but in a good way. It filled her mind to the brim and made her forget all her worries. All her thoughts would slip away and she could relax and draw.

Combee buzzed around the meadow and Starly fluttered in the treetops. The sun filtered through the leaves in the canopy and dappled the floor with millions of spotlights. The light moved around from the swaying branches from the light breeze that swayed the millions of flowers that thrived in the meadow. Rose wanted to make sure she captured the moment just right.

"Rose!" Her mother called from afar. The scent of Rowap Berry pie mixed in with the scent of the flowers in the meadow.

Hearing her mother call her Rose stood up, closing her sketch pad and made her way to where her mother stood.