one

"Sooo—" Jake grinned at me as we both stood outside the entrance to my apartment, "—do I get a coffee, or at least a goodnight kiss?"

If he thought that I was going to let him inside my apartment just because he gave me a sickly smile and used his sweet tone, then he had another thing coming. Jake would be going home alone tonight, mostly because I wasn't the type of girl who slept with a man of the first date.

They had to show me that they were worth my time and that I wasn't making a mistake by letting them into my life, because that was a lesson which I had learned when I, finally, walked away from Matthew Barnes three years ago.

"You know, coffee is just the worst at this time of night, you'll never be able to sleep. And, as for a kiss? We both know what that will lead to." Tonight had been fun and I wouldn't mind seeing Jake again, but I couldn't have been happier that the evening was finally over, and my apartment had never appeared more inviting than it did right now.

"What about tea? Hot Chocolate? Water?" He spoke quickly and, from the way he was desperately trying to grab my keys from my hand, I knew that he only wanted one thing off me and that I wouldn't be seeing him again. Apparently, he was just the same as every other guy I had attempt to date, and only wanted the sex without the commitment.

"Look, Jake, you're a nice guy and everything, but I don't want to have sex with you," I spoke bluntly. "I'm not looking for something like that right now. But, thanks for a great evening and, who knows, you might even see me again." I finished, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek as I forced my key into the lock and walked into the house, attempting to close the door when a shout of pain prevented me from doing so.

The idiot had put his foot in the door to stop me from closing it. It was further proof that there were some men who just couldn't take no as an answer, because they always had to get what they wanted from a woman.

"Please, Sophie?" He begged me.

"Look, I have a daughter inside who is waiting for her mother, and an ex who doesn't take too kindly to me seeing other guys. So, if you don't want to end up as a mute who has to be fed through a tube for the rest of his life, then I suggest you leave now and don't bother contacting me again." I stated, not even sure where that partial lie had come from, but at least it made him leave me alone.

I don't think I had seen a man run faster than Jake did down the corridor and out of the building. And I don't know what scared him off more, the apparent threat from my fake ex, or the fact that I genuinely did have a daughter who was waiting for her mother to come home.

Either way, it was a shame, because he did seem like a decent guy until he tried to force his way into my apartment and sweettalk his way into my bed; the very same bed which was covered in my daughter's toys and hadn't been made since I last changed the bedding two weeks ago.

I had barely taken my coat off when my best friend, or as I like to call her, my babysitter, came running out of the living room with a smug grin on her face; almost telling of the fact she knew this night was going to be a failure before it had even happened. She had even tried to warn me off going but, being the stubborn fool that I am, I insisted that he was different and that tonight would end on a positive note.