thirteen

"Markus!" Callie's excited shout attracted the attention of most of the people around us and there were a family beside us who tutted, and muttered about how not everyone needed to know our business

"Markus!" Callie's excited shout attracted the attention of most of the people around us and there were a family beside us who tutted, and muttered about how not everyone needed to know our business. "Mummy said we would never see you again."

"Did she now?" I didn't need to turn around to know that Markus was hurt by what I had told my daughter, but I didn't think that he would come to the airport to look for me. Especially not when I could smell the alcohol radiating off him and I am almost certain that he was drunk.

"Well, she said that mummy needed to go home, and she said mummy has to do what's best. Mummy no hurt you." I wanted to laugh at the innocence of my daughter, and at the naivety of her, but I was fighting back the tears instead.

"Callie, sweetie, why don't you go over to that shop and get yourself some treats for the plane." Callie clapped her hands excitedly and took the money which Markus handed to her, and I watched as she ran off into the shop and waved the money in the cashier's face.

"What are you doing here, Mark?"

"I can't let you and Callie leave, Soph. I would be an idiot to do that." He walked round from the back of the seats and took a seat in the empty one beside me, pushing Callie's bag out of the way as he did so.

"I told Alexander not to tell you that I had gone until the morning."

"It is the morning. Coming up to almost half two. So, I guess Alex never broke his promise," Markus attempted to joke. I turned to face him and, in the warmth and happiness of his eyes, there was an underlying sadness which you could only spot if you knew him well enough. "It was also Amena who convinced me that I should come after you. She told me that I would be an absolute fool if I let you go without even attempting to fight for you."

"You could have gotten dressed before coming here. People are staring." I managed to laugh. He might have stunk of booze and I might have been wondering how he got here in the first place, but I also found it amusing that he had turned up dressed like he had gotten dressed in the dark.

"Then I would have missed you and probably lost you. Turning up here in a pair of joggers and a hoodie is better than considering the thought of being without you."

"You're better off without me." I pushed away his attempts to be calm and affectionate, and I turned my attention to my daughter who was charming the cashier in the shop as she shoved her hand into the bag of sweets she had purchased. "I fuck everything up and I would only do the same to you."

"Rows 1 to 15 are now boarding the three thirty flight to London." A voice called over the tannoy and, all around me, people began moving towards the boarding gate with their luggage and children in tow. My eyes moved to Callie who was now bidding the cashier goodbye and she ran towards me, shouting that it was time for us to go home and that Markus should come with us.

"Come, Mummy. Home time," Callie grinned. She picked her Barbie up off the floor and pulled her teddy close to her chest, pointing to her carry on and my handbag which were both on the floor in front of me.