twenty-three • white

twenty-three: white

"Tell me all about it."

I looked at Todd's eager face across the counter and chuckled. I was glad that we had another shift together, just the two of us, because it was pretty much the only time we could really talk.

As soon as I had walked in to work this morning, Todd instantly said to me with a knowing smile, "I know that look. What happened with you two?"

I gaped at him and told him, "We went on a date."

He then proceeded to freak out, in front of a customer, and demand details. I, in turn, shushed him, directed his attention back to his customer, and told him I'd tell him later. He reluctantly gave in, but that didn't stop him from giving me sly looks throughout the day.

Now that it was in between rushes, Todd was all ears and gave me no time to waste. There were still customers seated in the shop, however, so the two of us pretended to keep busy. Todd was cleaning some cups and equipment from inside the counter, while I wiped down the counter from the other side. To be quite honest though, I doubted that the old man seated in the corner or the college student by the window cared what we were doing.

"What do you want to know?" I asked my curious friend, who was currently staring at me urgently.

"Everything. What'd you do? How was it? Did you guys, you know?" Todd wiggled his eyebrow at me.

"Todd!" I gasped, shaking my head at him. He just gave me a cheeky grin and his silence urged me on. "Well, if you must know, I decided to take him on a picnic at a special place of ours."

"I see you didn't take my suggestion for your date, but go on," he teased.

I rolled my eyes. "So basically, we had a really fun time talking and tossing food at each other. He opened up a lot to me, which was really nice. And then I took him back here and we had an ice cream run, during which he insulted my favorite flavor, but I'll excuse that for now. And then we went home and he walked me to my door."

"And...?" Todd suggested.

"And then zombies jumped out of the bushes and attacked us," I deadpanned. Todd then decided to annoy me until I finally muttered, "And then we kissed."

"What was that? I didn't quite catch that."

"And then we kissed," I said a little louder.

"Still not getting it!"

"And then we kissed!" I yelled at him in a hushed whisper, trying not to disrupt the customers. "Damn it, Todd, why do you have to be so annoying?"

"It's my specialty. But hey, at least you finally kissed!"

"Yeah," I said. "I was an idiot for brushing him away the first two times."

"Well, maybe it wouldn't have been the same if you guys kissed before all of this."

"True," I said. After a few moments passed, Todd asked, "So, when's the second date?"

"I don't know, actually."

"You guys never made plans?" I shook my head.

After the rush of our first date and first kiss, I completely neglected the fact that Carter and I never made plans for a second date.

Not that I was worried, though. Carter had fallen for me harder than he fell down my front steps.

"Well, maybe he'll ask you out on your second date soon."

"Maybe, or maybe he'll never officially ask. We've never really made formal plans before, except for this first date."

We both looked at each other and shrugged, before one of our co-workers walked in for the next shift. They would be taking my place, while Todd would stay, since he decided to take more hours today.