two • breve

☂ two: breve

Two weeks. Two weeks without my journal and I was going out of my mind. It wasn't so much that I missed writing in it, but more so me risking complete and utter humiliation if it fell into the wrong hands. All my rants, my secrets, tucked away in that tiny leather bound book. Now I had no idea where it was and the thought terrified me.

"You probably just dropped it at the Brew, then Todd found it and is keeping it safe for you," my best friend Emily suggested.

She was currently lying on my bed and fiddling with her phone while I paced the room frantically. I had explained the entire situation to her the day I lost my journal and now she was trying to help me think clearly to retrace my steps.

"Don't you think Todd would've given it back by now if he had it? I mean, it's not like I go to the Brew every single day," I replied. Sarcasm was my only line of defense whenever I panicked.

"Maybe he's reading it and enjoying himself. Maybe he doesn't want to give it back until he finishes it. Maybe right at this very moment, he's leafing through those pages and is slowly falling in love with the bitterness and negativity of your rants," Emily said with a laugh.

I shot her a glare. "Don't even joke about that. I'd die if Todd read my journal."

She batted her eyelashes flirtatiously and waggled her eyebrows. "Why? Do you have a crush on little barista Todd? Do you dream of getting married and having little Kennedies with him?"

"No," I said, hiding a blush.

Emily rolled her eyes. "You're as bad of a liar as you are a dancer. Which would be really, really bad."

"Those are my personal thoughts and feelings! I don't want anyone to see them, let alone a guy that I see everyday."

"Denial's not just a river in Egypt," she sang.

"I'm serious!"

"Okay Kennedy, chill. I'm sure your journal will turn up somehow. And if it doesn't, then there's nothing we can do about it. Just relax and breathe."

Maybe my best friend was right. My journal had to turn up at some point, right?

"I guess you're right, Em."

"Aren't I always?" she said with a wink. "So tell me about this hottie at the coffee shop again."

My blood started boiling at the mention of the asshat who dumped his coffee on me then hit on me.

"Oh, don't even get me started on him..."

❋ ~ ❋ ~ ❋ ~ ❋ ~ ❋ ~ ❋

When Emily and I arrived at first period AP Literature the next morning, the class seemed to be more talkative than usual. Oh, how I loved the sounds of squealing girls and morning gossip. Not.

"Hey Kennedy! Hey Em!"

We both jumped back, startled. The minute we walked through the door, Cameron Reynolds popped up, right in our faces. Cameron has been friends with us ever since our freshman year in high school.

We were in biology class and it was dissection day. Our teacher decided to divide the class into groups of three and gave each of the groups a dead frog. Emily was terrified of the frog and I wasn't keen on touching dead things, so we looked to the boy in our group, otherwise known as Cameron, for help. However, when we turned to ask him for help, his face was nearly green and he shook his head violently out of fear. Let's just say that when Emily and I found out he was the only guy in the class terrified of dissecting a frog, we thought he was awesome and became fast friends.