twenty-six • zanzibar

☂ twenty-six: zanzibar

I sent Carter's mom a text on our way home from the lake, letting her know that Carter was completely fine, we were on our way home, and we'd explain more once we got home. Her reply was practically instantaneous and words couldn't describe how relieved she seemed to be. 

Once we arrived back at Carter's place, we found Carter's mom waiting at the doorsteps for him. As soon as he stepped out of the car, she ran towards him and he met her halfway as she gave him a tight hug. Tears of joy and relief were pouring down her face as she sobbed into his shoulder. 

I looked past the happily reunited mother and son to see my own mother standing in the doorway. I guess Mrs. Daniels invited her over as they both awaited our arrival. I gave her a smile and she beamed at me, undoubtedly proud of me for being able to find Carter and bring him back to his mother. 

After examining Carter to make sure that he was okay, Mrs. Daniels beckoned us all into the house to talk about what happened. We all sat down at the dinner table together and Carter relayed the story he told me to them. He then apologized to his mother, and even mine, for making them worry so much. In response, the two of them apologized for keeping his father's condition a secret from him. 

Then, Carter's mom turned her attention towards me and asked me about how I managed to find her son. I, in turn, told them of my mindless wandering through town until I ultimately thought of the more pivotal locations in our relationship. 

Once I finished my story, Mrs. Daniels got up and gave me a big hug. She was still trembling slightly from her previous state of panic, but I could tell that she was happy. And to be quite honest, nothing else at that moment made me happier than knowing that she was no longer worrying or stressing herself out. 

Afterwards, Carter decided to tell his mom about wanting to visit his dad. "I have to see him," he said. "Please. And I want Kennedy with me."

Carter's mom considered his proposition for a while before consenting. "You two can take a trip there as soon as tomorrow if you'd like. I'll give you guys the address of the hospital. Just promise you'll be safe and no one will end up running away, okay?" 

"Okay," Carter said guiltily as I chuckled quietly at her subtle jab at Carter. He simply elbowed me in response. 

The next day, Carter and I left in his car bright and early in the morning. The town that the hospital was in wasn't too far away, but we decided to make a day out of the visit anyways. Our moms wished us goodbye and warned us not to try any funny business, to which Carter and I simply rolled our eyes at. 

The car ride was pretty lighthearted, considering the reason why we were headed for the town in the first place. Carter performed his usual carpool karaoke at an obnoxiously loud volume, but this time, I decided to join in with him. I'm quite certain that if the windows weren't rolled up, we would've gotten dirty looks from passersby for sure. 

We grabbed a quick breakfast on the road and before we knew it, we had arrived at the hospital. As we got out of the car, I texted our moms to let them know that we had made it there safely. After I hit send, I looked over at Carter and saw him staring at the hospital like it was doomsday. I didn't blame him, though. The first time he'd be seeing his father in months was going to be in a hospital room. 

I walked over to him and gently rubbed his shoulder. Honestly, I don't think either of us were mentally prepared for seeing his father in the hospital. But whenever Carter needed me, I was going to make certain that I would be there. 

He took my hand and we walked through the sliding doors of the hospital together. I never did like hospitals, because they always made me think of the pain and suffering most of the patients were probably going through. And a part of me always wondered what it would've been like if the paramedics had come in time to save my sister and she had actually made it to the hospital.