Reading Between The Lyrics - Chp 15 {So This Is Love}

'You pull me in close. Flesh to flesh. I breathe you in. Taking you in deep. You're a hurricane. You suck me in and thrash me about. Please honey, don't spit me out.' ­– Riley May – So This Is Love

“I can't keep up with your turning tables. Under your thumb, I can't breathe.”

“You know it takes a bit of skill to pull off anything slightly to Adele, I mean her voice isn’t anything mainstream.” Dad pointed out gruffly to me from behind making me startle.

I swung around from the full length mirror I stood before as I was getting ready for tonight, I gave him a breathless smile and an impish shrug, the distance between us feeling more than fragile. “I don’t know, I mean she has a killer voice that’s beyond fantastic I just never thought I’d be into that music, her music.” I murmured honestly.

Dad watched me with his arms folded as he leant against the door just simply watching me with affectionate smile “What made you change your taste?”

The question honestly had bought me up short, had I changed my taste in music? Before this bombshell and than going to deflect myself against the falling debris I had been the simple outright punk rock lover, my image alone could deem me as that. Jason had proved to that in the mere seconds that I had met him, not even knowing his name. Yet now here I was and I was extending my music taste, broadening my taste to punk rock to even folk country like Lady Antebellum to even the singing to Adele and her practically opera standards of a beating ballads voice. It was funny how before than I had been somewhat disgusted in that sort of music, especially mainstream and yet now I was singing to it. What I didn’t understand was why?

I shrugged with a furrowed brow “I don’t know honestly.” I admitted, the question taunting me and I knew it would until I knew why.

Dad’s lips tipped at the corner “Maybe it’s a change of emotion, maybe you can suddenly relate to the songs.” he mused gently his soft eyes telling me he meant Alison.

I turned back to the mirror as Adele continued singing back in the background, was that really it? Was I connecting suddenly with this type of music not because of the artist themselves or even the genre but simply the lyrics of it all? Did these songs tell a part of my own story?

So I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't ask you, you to just desert me
I can't give you, what you think you give me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables

My eyes grew as I listened to the emotionally ripping voice of Adele as I looked in the mirror at myself, seeing the heartbroken and confused eyes that would reciprocate ones as similar as Adele’s. Maybe dad was right, maybe it was the songs themselves that had me playing them on repeat for hours after all. After all I knew I had a love for the lyrics themselves and music in general but even know I was still learning their true beauty and wonder. I couldn’t help the small smile on my lips as I realized I still had a lot to learn and having this somewhat of an insight had a bubbling happiness building within me that I had missed so greatly. I loved that feeling that told me I was learning more and getting closer to music and it’s never ending boundaries and knowledge.

Under haunted skies I see you, ooh
Where love is lost, your ghost is found
I braved a hundred storms to leave you
As hard as you try, no I will never be knocked down

I caught dad’s eye in the mirror and turned back around to look at him, his eyes were wary and unsure and it had my stomach churning in worry. Were there more secrets to be told? Things with us since we had talked yesterday had been somewhat awkward, the both of us didn’t know how to act about each other and get back to how we were before. It sucked how the sole person behind all this drama could create all this drama and get off free, cause drifts between people that hadn’t done anything wrong to either one. Why was she a lucky one that could so easily walk away guilt free and still with pride and dignity?