Prologue

They did it.

     The finally did it.

     Since that life changing day on April 13, 2009, the kids and trolls have been trying to achieve their prize of a brand-new world just for them.

     And it all lied behind a white door.

     Jade, Dave, Rose, Jake, Dirk, Roxy, Jane, Jane's dad, Nannasprite, Terezi, Kanaya, Calliope, and Karkat stood behind John. He turned to them a little and smiled, then faced back forward.

     The Heir of Breath slowly stepped up to the door, his long hood dragging behind him. The sixteen year old shook with anticipation, and butterflies floated in his stomach. He then stopped merely a foot away from the door. Nobody had a clue as to what hid behind it. And now was the moment of truth.

     John reached out to grab the door handle, but hesitated. Was there even really a prize? What would even happen? Not only did these fears stop him. He also felt that somehow he shouldn't be doing this alone. John heard footsteps come up from behind him, and he turned around.

     Karkat stood behind John, arms crossed and his face in a scowl. He looked at the black-haired human and sighed. Karkat was just as nervous on the inside as John obviously was, but the mutant blood wasn't going to let his nervousness show.

     John and Karkat stared at each other for a few seconds, ocean blue eyes staring into black eyes flecked with red.

     "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, EGBERT?" Karkat asked, his voice loud as usual.

     John shrugged and gave him a smile. "I dunno. It just...doesn't feel right for it to be me getting the prize for everyone. We all worked so hard. Lives were lost. I want someone else to do this with me." John gave a nervous glance at Karkat, a pleading look in his eyes.

     The troll sighed in annoyance, but he gave the human an amused smile. "Fine, I'll do it with you." His voice was quieter this time, surprising John quite a bit. However, John simply returned the smile to his friend.

     The two stepped up to the door. They looked at each other, giving a silent nod. They both reached out a hand, John using his left and Karkat his right. Their hands both grasped the doorknob. And with confidence, they opened the door.