Chapter 1

--

“Thank you so much for coming here on such late notice,” Junhui tells Wonwoo as he hurriedly fixes his tie and slips on his loafers. “I just found out I had an early meeting at work, and Minghao needs help getting ready for school.”

“No problem, Mr. Wen,” Wonwoo mumbles, his voice still ragged from sleep. He’s calculating in his head, it’s 7:45 am right now, and Minghao’s elementary school bus leaves at 8:30, so there should be plenty of time for Wonwoo to make it back to campus before his 9 am class.

“Minghao’s still in bed right now. Make sure he has his lunch box and his shoes. His are the small shoes, with the strings,” Junhui says distractedly, gesturing towards the shoe rack. The explanation is somewhat redundant, since the only shoes lined up there are Junhui’s large dress shoes and Minghao’s tiny sneakers right next to them.

“Got it,” Wonwoo yawns.

“Here’s….$12. Is $12 okay? That’s all that I’ve got on me in cash right now,” Junhui apologizes, handing Wonwoo a crinkled stack of bills, mostly ones.

“That’s more than enough,” Wonwoo says. He usually babysits for $8 an hour, so this tiny bonus means that he’ll be able to indulge in a self-pity latte from Starbucks today. “Thank you so much. Have a great day, Mr. Wen.”

Pain streaks along Wonwoo’s temple, a reminder of the near all-nighter he pulled to finish his programming assignment. He needs an Advil or a nap. Preferably both. But it’s time to help Minghao, his favorite little first grader, get ready for school.

“Minghao-ah,” Wonwoo murmurs, gently shaking the six year old by the shoulder.

The boy’s mouth parts slightly, letting a thin strand of drool trickle out, but his eyes stay closed. Wonwoo can relate.

“Minghao baobei,” Wonwoo tries again, using what Junhui calls his son. “Time to wake up.”

This time Minghao’s eyes slowly blink open, but he just glares at Wonwoo with an angry little baby pout. Wonwoo pouts back at him.

“Life’s tough, kiddo. I wouldn’t be out of bed right now either if I had my way. But we have to get you ready for first grade.”

Scooping Minghao into his arms, Wonwoo carries the boy from his bedroom to the bathroom and back to his bedroom and then to the kitchen, as he brushes Minghao’s teeth, washes his face, dresses him, and then pours milk into a bowl of cereal for the boy.

Minghao sits at the breakfast table, still half asleep, with his spoon curled in his tiny fist. He doesn’t make a move to eat the cereal, which is quickly becoming soggy.

“Work with me here, buddy,” Wonwoo pleads. “You gotta eat your breakfast so you can be big and strong. And so you can make it through your day without fainting.”

At the word fainting , Minghao tilts his head curiously.