Chapter 4

I think 90 percent of the student body would agree with me when I say, math is the worst subject ever. Functions, imaginary numbers, Parabolas, none of it makes sense. What happened to 2+2? Why did we stray away from that?

Walking into class, I immediately look at the board. Our assigned seats were written in green expo marker and I was relieved when I saw my placement. The middle row was perfect, not far enough for me to be comfortable zoning out but not close enough for the teacher to call on me. I quickly found my assigned seat and looked at the board to see who was going to sit next to me. To my utter relief, the seat to my left was assigned to Jared. God is really looking out for me.

I patiently waited for class to start with a smile on my face. I knew I could pass this class with Jared, it would be like Calc1 all over again. Jared's a quiet kid to say the least. He doesn't speak unless spoken to and has these round circular glasses that sit at the tip of his nose. He's 5'7" max, and wears bootcut jeans that never match his outfit. Though he is by far the least intimidating looking person I have ever seen, he's a certified genius. Jared is the next Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Elon Musk rolled into one body. He could probably take over the world right now if he wanted to, but that's not the type of person he is. Jared, being a "little guy" himself, makes sure to look out for the little guy whenever he can. In this instance, the little guy is me, a person who would never be able to pass Calculus without him.

Jared filters in with the majority of class 30 seconds before the bell rings. He looks at the board, finds his seat next to me, and waves.
"Hi Jared, how was your summer?" I initiate the conversation, something I'm only willing to do with him and Mandy.
"Pretty good. I coded a game, I think I'm going to put it on Roblox." He glanced at me, almost surprised. "Didn't you say you weren't returning to Bayside this school year? What changed?"

Jared always had a good memory, that's probably why he was so smart. But at times like this it definitely gets a little annoying.
"Honestly Jared, I don't know." I looked down before continuing, "But I guess you're stuck with me for another year." He chuckled and looked down at his watch just as the bell to start class rang. I was happy that the conversation was over, but I was left to face my thoughts. I'm truly in uncharted territory.