Chapter 1 ~ The Test

Marinette was paying no attention at all to the video that was playing in class. Honestly, she really should of been, as of the test the next morning. When the video ended, she turned to her best friend, Alya.

"Study at your place?"

"You bet."

_______________________________________

It was raining when Marinette knocked on the door. She had her revision books in her hand, and, luckily, they weren't that drenched. When the door opened, she stepped in to a room filled with the smell of gingerbread.

"Evening Mr. Cesaire, Mrs. Cesaire."

The couple sent her a warm smile and told Marinette that Alya was in her room.

When she got up there, Marinette didn't bother knocking and walked right in.

"You're late, girl." Alya playfully scowled her.

"That's me." The two girls giggled.

"Ok, what are we studying then?" The blunette asked.

"You didn't pay attention at all, did you?" Alya asked.

"....no" Marinette sighed.

"Of course you didn't. Well, get out your textbooks. I'll be right back." The brunette said.

About two minutes later, Alya came in with two mugs of hot chocolate.

"You're favourite." Alya winked.

"The famous hot chocolate, eh?" Marinette said, gratefully taking the mug and taking a long sip. "Thanks!"

"No problem, girl. Ok, we need to turn to page 394."

(If you get that reference, then you're amazing!)

_______________________________________

There was only 3 minutes left until the timer would go off. The hero of Paris was still in the middle of a question for seven marks and she'd only done three points. She recalled on what had happened yesterday and wrote it down. She had no idea what she was actually writing. It just went from her brain, to her hand, to her pen. When she'd finished, she had about thirty-seven seconds left, so she read her answer to make sure it made sense.

Sir Isaac Newton was an English mathematician, astronomer, who was recognised as one of the most influential scientists of all time and a key figure in the scientific revolution. His book Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica, first published in 1687, laid the foundations of classical mechanics. Newton also made seminal contributions to optics, and he shares credit with Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz for developing the infinitesimal calculus.

Newton's Principia formulated the laws of motion and universal gravitation that dominated scientists' view of the physical universe for the next three centuries. By deriving Kepler's laws of planetary motion from his mathematical description of gravity, and using the same principles to account for the trajectories of comets, the tides, the precession of the equinoxes, and other phenomena, Newton removed the last doubts about the validity of the heliocentric model of the Solar System and demonstrated that the motion of objects on Earth and of celestial bodies could be accounted for by the same principles. Newton's theoretical prediction that the Earth is shaped as an oblate spheroid was later vindicated by the geodetic measurements of Maupertuis, La Condamine, and others, thus convincing most Continental European scientists of the superiority of Newtonian mechanics over the earlier system of Descartes.

That seemed alright.

Marinette was highly advanced in English, so she knew a lot of fancy-shmancy words. Alya, on the other hand, was extremely good at History, so they shared their skills.

______________________________________

The next day, the class found out their results.

Ivan got 68%. He wasn't going.

Myléne got 72%. Neither was she.

Rose got 87%, along with Juleka and Sabrina. You had to get 85% or over, so they were lucky.

Alix got 79%. So close, with Kim who got 78%.

Max got 91%. He was definitely going. He wasn't advanced, but he was intelligent nonetheless.

Nino got 86%. A pass is a pass.

Adrien got 88%.

Alya got 98%. Which means she got only two questions wrong.

Marinette got 4- wait. There's no way that she got 42%.

Marinette skimmed the paper then shot her hand in the air.

"Miss! This isn't my paper..."

"What do you mean?" Miss Bustier asked.

"It's Chloé's."

Chloé sent out an unholy screech when the teacher ordered her to give the paper back.

93%.

Nathaniel seemed to be absent.

Word count: 696 words