1. Silent Rose

The warm, bright fire in the common room gently heated Hermione's freezing hand as she revised her potion work. Harry and Ron were playing wizarding chess. Typical. Heavy snow was falling outside, blocking the view from the windows.

"Aren't you going to play, 'mione?" Ron asked eyebrows cocked upwards.

"No" Simple yet effective. It was always her answer.

Words swam in her head as she looked at the book. She wasn't taking in anything. She had been staying up all night revising her work. Her eyelids grew heavy and the laziness of the room wasn't helping her.

"You know what, I need a break. I'm going to sleep. Night guys" Hermione slammed her potion book shut and gathered all her notes before marching up to her dormitory.

"Did she just realise that she needed a break, After 6 bloody years?"

Harry just chuckled as he moved his knight.

"Checkmate" Ron's mouth hung open.

. . .

"Are you going to bed early Hermione?" Ginny asked sitting on her bed reading a book. Hermione nodded and went to the bathroom to get ready.

She melted down on her bed, finally closing her eyes. She breathed out all her worries and her stress before drifting off to a well-earned sleep.

Her dream was random as always. Professor McGonagall was chasing after her because she turned all the homework into rats. She was about to use an expelliarmus when she felt the warm kiss of the sun on her face.

Her eyes fluttered open. She stretched herself as she let out a huge yawn. She felt something touch her hand. She looked up to see an elegant black rose lying on her windowsill. She stood on her elbows and examined the rose. It had to be someone in Gryffindor she thought. She concluded that it was probably Ginny messing with her. She softly placed the rose inside her drawer before getting ready for another average day. Or she thought.

. . .

"What do you mean you don't know? Hermione asked, frustration building up.

"For the last time, Hermione, it wasn't me. Why the heck would I give you a black rose? And what kind of joke is that? It's not even funny" Ginny slammed her spoon on her table.

Hermione's mind felt like it was jammed. She hated these times. She felt as though she was so close to the answer but something kept on blocking her way.

She glanced at the Slytherin table. It was just a habit, looking at the blonde boy who called her a mudblood. Him and his proud Malfoy traditions.

"You know what I don't care about the rose anymore. I mean someone could've left it there as a mistake"

"Mhmm" Ginny winked as she continued munching on her pancake.

"Oh stuff you, Ginny"

. . .

Hermione kept her eyes peeled at Transfiguration waiting to spot anyone who looked suspicious. However, no signs were found. She did constantly get the feeling that she was watched, but of course, there was no one looking.

She did the same for all the other classes as well, but no luck. She forced herself to believe that the rose was left there by someone as a mistake. Something inside her stirred and made her heart pinch.

She decided to go to the library. It was her only heaven from the confusing world around her. She to her favourite spot, next to the window and picked up a vintage looking book that had read,

Hogwarts; a history

This was by far her favourite book. She had read this countless times for the past 6 years. She flipped through the pages to pg. 198. Her favourite page about the founders of Hogwarts.

A yellow, rustic parchment slipped out of the book. Hermione furrowed her eyebrows and slowly opened it.

Did you like the rose?

Wide-eyed, Hermione rushed out of the Library to find Ginny. She quickly arrived in front of the fat lady and muttered the password.

As the portrait swung open, she rushed to the ginger-haired sitting by the fire. Hermione was breathless as she had run all the way from another side of the castle to here. She handed her the paper. Ginny looked back and forth.

"What do you want me to do with it?" She asked

"Read it" Hermione panted

"There is nothing to read though.."

Hermione, shocked, snatched the paper and searched for the words.

"But- but it was right here Ginny"

"Hey look, the work is stressing you out alright. Maybe you need a little bit more rest okay?" Ginny placed a hand on her shoulder.

Hermione nodded and headed back towards the library. She needed answers, not rests.

This time she searched the shelf for charms book and at last, she found something useful.

She flipped through the pages (thankfully no falling parchment made her run back to her common room) and found what she was looking for - the concealment charm.

It was just like The Marauder's Map, but with this whenever the recipient opens the message it disappears straight away so no one else can see it.

Before, she had suspected Ron to be the one who had left the rose, but now she realised that he was the way to dumb to think of a concealment charm.

There were also rumours that Ron and Lavender were found snogging under the stairs and Hermione didn't doubt it. It had made her very upset without herself realising and had impacted her grades significantly. This was the reason why she was so determined to find out the anonymous person. Joke or not.

. . .

That night Hermione held the black rose in her hands, staring into the velvety petals. Who was it she thought? Who was so desperate enough to learn a concealment charm?

"My little rose what secret are you hiding inside your petals?" She asked, her thoughts distant.

She lay the rose down on her bedside table and stared up at the ceiling.

"Who is the secret your hiding?"

. . .

**Hey guys this is a more updated version because I wrote the last one at midnight in the basement. I know, creepy**