2. Writing to no one

Hermione woke up to the sound if the distant thunder. The black rose was lying on the floor, her hand dangling above it. She had fallen asleep without realising. She picked up the rose. She was astonished when she saw the state of it. There were no dying petals, no brown spots. Fresh and vibrant as ever. It has to be enchanted, she thought.

She dragged herself up, the tip of her robe sweeping the already clean floor. She thanked the creator of the week for making today Saturday as she was in no mood to study or learn. Ginny and Lavender were snoring away as she made her way to the bathroom. Lavender. The thought of her made Hermione cringe. How can someone like Ron like her? They were complete opposites.

After brushing her teeth she went to the Great Hall to eat breakfast. She was starving and realised that she forgot to have dinner last night. One her way she saw Malfoy rushing towards the astronomy tower. It looked like he was hiding from someone as he constantly looked back and forth.

For a brief moment, his eyes met hers. She thought she was imagining when she saw his expression change. It wasn't significant, no, it was the slightest change. His eyes which were travelling everywhere landed on hers. It was just a glance, but it felt like hours had passed. He tore his eyes away from hers as he kept on moving.

She didn't linger on what just happened for too long. Her senses these days were very poor and she couldn't think when she was hungry. Also, Malfoy could've been looking at someone behind her. It went too fast for her to dwell on it so she decided to leave it.

She entered the Great Hall to see her two best friends already eating. They were in deep conversation and  Ron was constantly nodding. Poor Harry, he must be explaining something to Ron without realising he doesn't understand anything.

"I have never seen you two wake up this early before" She stated as she sat down. Both of them looked serious

"Today is the selections for the Quidditch Team" Ron nervously said

"Oh?" Hermione took a gulp of water. She instantly felt energised.

"People are thinking that Harry will pick me because I'm his mate, but I don't want him to do it" He looked desperate, Hermione almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

"Oh Ron cut it out, I'm not going to do that. Just try your best will you?" He asked with annoyance

The trio was silent for the rest of the time. Ron and Harry had finished their breakfast earlier than Hermione and so she was left alone when they had to rush to the Quidditch Pitch.

Just then, a lean snowy owl came swooping in and landed in front of Hermione. A small grey envelope was tied around its feet with twine. She furrowed her brow in confusion. Strange. She thought It wasn't a delivery day. She slowly untangled the envelope and opened it. 5 simple words were printed on it with cursive handwriting.

Your questions can be answered.

Frustrated, she scrunched up the letter and headed back to the common room. She didn't care that everyone in the Great Hall was staring at her, she was just so annoyed. Someone wanted to play with Hermione's patience.

She was so lost in thoughts that she didn't realise where she was going until she bumped into Professor McGonagall. 

"Oh, sorr- "

"Granger, oh thank goodness I found someone. I need help with the Quidditch Selections if that's possible"

The problem was, it wasn't possible. It was cold and chilly and Hermione was in a bad mood. She also couldn't turn down an offer the professor made because she was the, well the professor.