5. Back to HQ

It was a sobering ride back to the Tower. Bruce was back to himself, he had headphones on, listening to some classical music. Tony was piloting the aircraft, and Clint was lying on a transport, unconscious. I could smell his wounded flesh from here.

"So...that mind thing, how long have you been able to do that?" Aria asked me, giving me a strange look.

"For as long as I can remember. You and I haven't seen each other in a very long time."

"I'll say. First your fire ability, and now the mind thing! When did you grow up and become powerful?"

I chuckled. "It just happened, just like I'm sure that's how you ended up with your ability."

Aria shrugged. "You could say that." Natasha went to Bruce to talk to him. Aria looked around the aircraft. "This thing is incredible, and a tad noisy. Roomy, though. Humans are definitely something."

"They're even better when you get to know some of them." I glanced at Steve, who was on a tablet. He'd come a long way. He (like me) still didn't understand some pieces of technology, but we were working on it.

"How long have you and the Captain been courting?"

My cheeks tinted pink. "It's been a few years."

"Isn't that forbidden?" She tilted her head. "Shouldn't warriors not fraternize?"

"It's not forbidden, probably not recommended." I shrugged. "But things fell into place, and Steve and I are still going strong. We're okay, the team is okay."

"I'm happy for you, Kiara."

"You'll find happiness here, too, Aria." I put a hand on her shoulder. "For now, you're just rolling with the chaos that is our lives."

"Thor, report on the Hulk?" Natasha asked the God of Thunder.

"The gates of Hell are filled with the screams of his victims." Most on the aircraft were glaring at Thor. Bruce definitely looked uncomfortable. "Uh, but, not the screams of the dead, of course. No, no, uh...wounded screams, mainly whimpering, a great dealing of complaining and tales of sprained deltoids and, and uh...and gout."

"You were certainly not crowned the King of Sugarcoating," I teased Thor. "It doesn't look good on you." Aria sniggered beside me. Thor looked embarrassed.

"Hey, Banner," Tony said from up front, "Doctor Cho's on her way in from Seoul, is it okay if she sets up in your lab?"

"Uh, yeah, she knows her way around," said Bruce.

"Thanks."

Aria and I gravitated towards Loki's scepter. Tony had retrieved it just after we had split up in the HYDRA base. I slapped Aria's hand as she tried to touch it. I shook my head at her. It's not something you want to trifle with.

Why not?

Its power is very dangerous. In the wrong hands, it creates death and destruction.

"Is this why Loki was in Asgardian prison?" She looked at me.

I swallowed. "Yes, it is why. He created mayhem in New York a few years ago. He released aliens called the Chitauri on the city. Our team was newly formed at the time. A lot of damage was caused, but we pulled through."

"And you have been a team ever since?"

"Yes." I nodded slowly, crossing my arms, glaring at the scepter. I could feel its power calling to me. But I remembered how dark of an influence it had on the mind. I had been under its control, and it under Loki's control (or maybe it was the other way around on that one). It changed a person, or it enhanced their inner darkness.