11. The Safe House

"Hey." I started awake when I felt a nudge. "We've landed."

"Mm," I grumbled. I stretched my limbs and stood up, looking out from the jet. In the distance was a farmhouse. I cocked my head.

The team meandered out, Clint helping Tasha along. The rest of us were able to move on our own account, though Steve hovered beside me.

"What is this place?" Thor asked.

"A safe house?" said Tony. We were on the porch now.

"Let's hope," Clint murmured. He led the team inside. "Honey, I'm home." From the kitchen, a heavily pregnant woman stepped out. "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead."

What in the name of Odin? I was taken aback when Clint kissed the pregnant woman. He's got...he's got a girlfriend? No, wife. There's a ring on her finger. And they're expecting.

Well, I certainly didn't see this coming.

"This is an agent of some kind," Tony said, trying to think that was the reason behind being here.

"Gentleman, ladies, this is Laura," Clint introduced us.

"I know all your names," Laura said bashfully. "Except yours, you're new." She pointed towards Aria.

"New recruit, Aria. Ooh, incoming." I watched in amazement as two little kids, a girl and a boy, ran towards Clint. He picked up the little girl and kissed the boy's head. "Hey, buddy! How you guys doing?"

"These are...smaller agents," said Tony in disbelief.

"Look at your face! Oh, my goodness!"

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" asked the daughter.

"Why don't you hug her and find out?" said Tasha. It was a relief to hear her talk and embrace the little girl.

"Sorry for barging in on you," Steve apologized to Laura.

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed," said Tony.

"Yeah, well, Fury helped me set this up when I joined," Clint explained. "He kept it off S.H.I.E.L.D.'s files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low."

I was completely baffled and astounded. Clint Barton had a family, and a third child on the way. And nobody except Fury—and Natasha—ever knew it. I guess as an Avenger you can have a family.

Tasha introduced me and Aria to the Barton daughter, Lila. She commented on how funny we sounded. We were tempted to show our powers to the little girl, but we held off. Granted, Laura knew of us, but did she know what we did? I didn't want to scare Lila, anyway, with my power. Fire could either scare a child or fascinate them.

After a time, we all dispersed around the Barton farm. We took turns getting a shower and being assigned rooms. Steve and I were paired for a room. Thor had decided to disappear on us, Steve told me he was searching for answers. I wasn't sure what that was all about, and I was too tired to begin to think up questions.

When I ended up in the shower, I yelped. The water was ice cold. It was the quickest I ever took in my life. Steve and I switched out, I got dressed while he showered. I sniggered when I heard him make the same noise that I had earlier.

"Don't like the cold either, huh?" I teased him as he came out in nothing but a towel. Hold those thoughts in, Kiara. You're a guest in someone else's house.