Chapter 6

Cassie stood as the suited men started approaching again. I pulled her back behind me and began backing up until she was sandwiched between me and the rear wall. Why did I even bother? What was I going to do? It was five against three, and those five outsized us. On top of that, I was pulling one of us out of the struggle.

I'd never seen Cassie get in a fight. I had never really even seen her in an argument outside of our own — which were far from serious. At least I don't consider an argument about whether Star Trek or Andromeda was Gene Roddenberry's greatest creation a real conflict (and it's Star Trek, in case you're wondering). Regardless, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be any better than she would be against two or more brutes.

They went for Jesse first. He caught the first guy with a right hook before getting tackled by the second.

I was the second target.

I held my hands up in front of me like I was taught in my self-defense classes. I tried to imagine exactly what I'd do once the first guy reached me. Fights, even within my Tae Kwon Do class, rarely happened like they did in the movies. They were never well coordinated and were usually over in seconds, both involved ending on the ground... or just one. That one was gonna be me. I just knew it.

The one who came for me was one of the larger dudes. He had a flock of seagulls haircut, a thick neck, and was well muscled. I cringed as he advanced. It was the wrong reaction if I wanted to win this fight, but it was the only reaction my body was willing to give. My knees felt weak. I wanted to vomit. Involuntarily, I shut my eyes.

Then Cassie screamed.

There was a brief moment between hearing her scream and me realizing I was on the ground. I thought the punch must have been so good that I didn't even feel it — instant blackout. The world felt top heavy as I pushed myself up. My vision was ill-defined. Ripples shook the air, humming like a thousand bumble bees. I blinked, but it didn't change my condition.

When I stood, the room still felt slanted. I looked around, trying to pull together my barrings. Where had the men gone? Was I out so long that they'd already taken my blood and gone?

I heard groaning and stumbled in the direction of the sound. The six suited men and the doctor were sprawled on the ground. Sprinkled between them were shards of broken glass. The guards on the outside where on the ground also. One of them quivered. The other appeared unconscious.

Then, I realized that the glass between us and freedom was shattered.

I peered to my left where Jesse staggered to his feet. He held his face with one hand and a fist full of hair in the other. I turned behind to Cassie. She stood in the same place, her back against the wall and colors of terror mixed with surprise painted on her face.

I watched Jesse cross to where the glass threshold used to be. He looked down at the armed guards before turning back to us. "We'd better get out now before these guys get up."

A high-pitched and piercing alarm began ringing. Though it seemed a bit delayed, I knew it was because of what happened in the room we were in.

What did happen?

I turned back to Cassie. She still stared, looking into nothing. I reached towards her, palm outstretched. "Come on. We have to get out of here."

Cassie finally met my eyes before nodding and taking my hand.

Jesse had already begun his escape when we started out. I only pulled Cassie along a few moments before she began keeping up on her own. Surprisingly, Jesse waited for us at the door. He stood with his hand against it for a moment before looking back at us.