Chapter 10

I walked home slowly at first. I couldn't believe all that had happened. I couldn't make myself stop grinning. Then I broke into a jog, then a sprint as I neared my house. Even in the dark of night, the world never felt brighter.

I slowed when I reached my front door, then realized I didn't want to make too much noise coming in. Dad was definitely home by now, and he would probably say something when he heard me enter.

I circled the house to my bedroom window on the second floor. I took a deep breath, let everything fall away, and let go of gravity. I rose into the air and to my bedroom window. I lifted the screen, and then glass. Like an astronaut passing through an airlock, I pulled myself through legs first. I allowed myself to feel the weight of myself again once I was inside, and closed the window behind myself.

I walked to the center of my bedroom and stood looking at my things with disbelief. I'd just done it again. This was definitely real. This was definitely amazing.

I looked at my bed where I'd first seen it happen.

Conspiracy Theories? It just happened to me.

Bigfoot? Maybe?

Blair Witch? That's still just a movie. But then human flight without a machine is the stuff of movies and comics.

I crawled into bed, and closed my eyes. If it really was a dream, I'd go to sleep, and wake tomorrow without a headache, without the ability to fly, and Cassie's concert to go to... still in the friend zone.

Through my eyelids, I saw my bedroom light flick on. I opened my eyes, expecting my dad at the door, but instead, I saw the silhouette of a woman.

"I hope you had fun today," she said, stepping out of the shadow near my closet and into the moonlight that streamed in from my window. "But now it's time for a serious talk."

She had silver and purple hair and was wearing skin-tight black leather. The color in her eyes was purple too. I sat up, my fists clinched, and unsure of how she got in my room.

"How'd you get in here?" I asked, my voice quivering.

"Get up," she said. "We're going out to talk about your new found ability." She turned and opened my door, then paused to look back at me. "And change your clothes. You smell like shit."