15 - Damien

Damien

***

"Damien's practically a puzzle I was lucky enough to try and solve, and he's unfinished it seems. He's stronger than he believes but arrogant and cocky, a fault that many others have. He's also brave, and takes care of his family and those he cares about before himself. Within this month and a half, I had the fortunate opportunity to get close to him and his family. The problem with it was, is I found myself breaking from my walls and letting him see the true me. I figured out I-"

"Fern Donnelly?"

No! What was she going to say?!

I could only stand and watch her run, out the door and away from me. The entire class was silent, except for maybe the sound of my pounding heart. It seemed that the sound of my heard could almost be heard by everyone in the room, because every single one of them stared at me.

I bolted from the room, running out the doors with someone right behind me. I saw a faded SUV peel out of the parking lot when I figured out it was Charles running with me, his eyes wide and his face almost as pale as Ferns was.

"What's going on?" I pleaded, my brain barely functioning.

Charles was just shouting curse words and running his hands through his hair, before finally turning and looking straight at me. "We have to find her, now."

I nodded numbly as I fished my keys out of my pocket, sprinting to my car with Charles behind me. Charles practically ripped my keys from my hand and flew into the drivers seat, almost ignoring me completely when he started the car. He tore out of the parking lot as fast as he could, swerving through cars and driving the familiar route to my little plants house.

I say familiar because I drive by almost all the time, hoping and praying to a god I don't believe in to simply catch a glimpse of her.

I rarely do.

As he pulled up to her home we see the SUV not in the place it's usually parked, the grass well overgrown and the pain chipped. I loathed her house, and it took all it had within me to not rip her from her own home every time I drove by. I growled as we started to leave, taking the ramp to get onto the freeway.

We were stopped quickly when the traffic went to a standstill, the sounds of sirens blaring over the soft radio Charles had been playing. His eyes widened from where he sat, considering the fact he had a much better line of sight towards the accident.

"What's going on?" Charles pretty much ripped his seatbelt off and scrambled out of the car, my body moving and reacting in a slower fashion. Once I was out and on the concrete and actually saw what the accident was, I ran like my life depended on it.

The same faded SUV I saw the love of my life leave the school in was upside down, glass everywhere and many dents in the sides and the back. Metal was caved in, and even worse, splatters of blood was all over the road. I swear my heart dropped when I saw all the ambulances, Charles somehow keeping his composure enough to talk to the police around us.

I watched an ambulance tear out of the freeway and down a ramp, my eyes watching it leave as I waited on Charles. My mind kept racing with a million questions that I didn't have any answers too, and I didn't think I would be able to properly do anything until I had the answers.