Sandra

My boyfriend stood in front of me, a sad glint in his eyes.
"I'm sorry, Sandy. I made a mistake before we got together. I didn't plan for this, but I have to take responsibility."
"The kid might not even be yours!" I argue.
"It doesn't matter. The kid needs a father, and she wants me to be that father. I have to go." he kissed my forehead and left me standing at the side walk. I wanted to go home. Back to my parents house and cry in my moms arms. I wanted to hear my dad say that he wasn't worth my time. Tears flooded my vision as I turned toward the road. Tires screeched and a large crash startled me out of my gaze and caused me to stair at my parents car, with my bloody mom amd dad in the front seats.
"Mommy?" I mumbled, "daddy?"
It was no use calling an ambulance, they were already dead.

A week after the crash, I found myself moving my brothers belongings into my apartment, since I would be unable to pay for our parents house. Andrew looked up at me with a cold expression.
"I know, I know. You didn't want to move, I'm sorry. I don't have the money to pay for moms house." I explained calmly to the silent child. He couldn't speak, couldn't make a sound. His voice box was damaged ever since he was born. I became the master at reading his expressions, knowing what each face meant and how to react to each of them.
He held a big box in his tiny hands, carrying it to my car. I held the last of the boxes, mom's old sweat shirts and tee shirts. Their old house was empty and would be sold soon, or rented out. I lived around the corner so Andrew didn't have to switch schools.
He glared again, and swiftly walked towards the car.
"Don't give me that!"
He huffed his shoulders and ignored me. I rolled my eyes at the kid. He was small for his age, with blond hair and green eyes. We didn't look anything alike, sense we had different fathers. Mine left out mom during pregnancy, with Andrews father stepping in and becoming my dad. My real dad refused to help me out so I was on my own with a six year old kid and two jobs.
I put the box in the back of my car and helped Andy get buckled in. After getting another glare I glared back, and sat in the drivers seat. After readjusting the mirror to look at my brother, I started the rusty black painted car and drove home. Andys room was already set up so he was in there getting ready for bed, a bell on a necklace around his neck.
He used this to get my attention or if he ever needed my help amd I couldn't see him. He could hear me, but no one could hear him.
"Almost ready? You have school tomorrow." He huffed and nodded his head. He was dressed in his blue pajamas, getting ready to brush his teeth.
"You need anything?"
'water' he signed using the only other method of communication he could use. Sign language.
"Alright, I'll be right back." I stepped into the small kitchen, and poored a glass of water. I threw an ice cube into the water and checked on my brother, who was now brushing his teeth.
"I'll leave this on your bed?" I asked and reseaved a nod.
After a few minutes I tucked him in to bed and kissed his forehead. As I stood to leave, he grabbed my hand, using his free hand to ring his small bell.
"What's up?"
'sing mommy's song' he signed.
"Ok." I sat back down on his bed and leaned back, remembering the lyrics.
"Oh, sweet baby, I love you. Forever you'll be in my arms, I will love you day and night, with no feelings of regret. You are all I have now, so don't leave me tonight. You're my sweet litfle baby boy, so please never leave my side." I sang. Andrew was asleep when I finished singing for him.

"Goodnight, Baby boy." I used my mom's name for him, making me feel a bit better about raising such a frail boy.