Chapter 1 - Inhale

To the seriously amazing White_Out. How you manage to read every single chapter boggles my mind. It really does.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One cannot help but survey prey with some pity and this particular one was once a magnificent buck.

I took a deep breath, warm scent of blood filling my nose as I let my mind drift. Around me, I could hear the forest living and thriving, bustling and running, though a crowned king lay fallen at my feet. My breath escaped my lips, taking with it a part of my worry, my anticipation, my tension. Still and silent, I let my mind run its course until all I could see was darkness as sunlight caressed my face through a living veil of leaves. Hands sticky, I swiped my blade on my robe, leaving trails of red on the dark fabric.

Following tradition, I walked around my kill twice then paused at its head. Thanking it under my breath, I began the arduous task of dragging the buck home through the thicket. His weight was satisfyingly heavy -- working his bulk through the woods was not going to be easy, but I relished the task. It had been a few weeks since I had last hunted and such a successful one after so long was gratifying. I grinned, knowing the clan was going to finally have the night of enjoyment that it deserved, knowing that I was fulfilling the duty I had been neglecting for so long.

As I struggled to drag the beast forward, stumbling on roots, I heard a distinctive voice echoing through the trees. Assadar's voice. Assadar who was scouting. They were coming.

With a quick apology to my hungry clan, I left the carcass for the wild and ran back to our camp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Canium!"

"Get inside!"

"What do we do?"

Cries of chaos assaulted my ears as I entered my camp, making my head spin.

"Silence!"

My scream rippled through my clan, pouring oil on troubled waters. We were all standing awkwardly in the clearing between our wooden homes; it was the hub of our circular camp.

"We knew an invasion to our woods was coming. We are prepared for all eventualities. Master Reliel." I looked to the tall, lithe, grey-toned man at the back of the crowd. Seeing his solemn nod, I continued.

"Take Yishus and Shira and tighten the choke points on the traps." The sprightly, tan boy and the serious, muscular girl stood at attention. "Herding them in tightly will make it easier to thin them out. Look for Assadar and Ralerin while you're out there. We need them. Naddel and Calaraia -- assist with long distance attacks." The young couple at my side met my eyes as one; their unity gave me pause. Regaining my sense of self in the face of the determination exuding from the linked pair, I went on, keeping my tone commanding to cover my moment of self-consciousness. 

"Use the trees to get vantage and cover. Split up as you see fit. Master Sle." Sle's dark eyes burned with excitement in his homey face; even his small stature was quivering. "Take Bemkash and Gahnenal and hold here. No one is to pass. Thenzon and Alrira -- take the untrained somewhere safe. Dilenkeh and I will be roving from station to station. Move!"

I pulled Thenzon and Alrira to the side as organized chaos erupted. Their youthful athletic forms were shaking from suppressed tension.

"You two, remember that you are defending the future of our clan. Fail and all our efforts here will be worthless." I tried to cast an aura of seriousness onto the young man and woman, but with all the hub-bub around them, I doubted that it had had any effect on the pair.