Chapter 9: When It Hits the Fan

Seraphina's POV

I shuffle into the bathroom quickly once I woke up. What in the hell?

I creep open the door and still see Jack spraled out across the bed. On the bed where he had previously been cuddling me like we were an 'adorable couple' as Lucy put it.

I look at my reflection in the mirror and finger-comb my knotty hair. I dig through the cupboard and find toothpaste. I squeeze some out on the tip of my finger and brush my teeth.

I open the door slowly and Jack is still sleeping. My heart thunders. This is my chance!

I find my clothes and throw them on. I sprint to the door and but my hand on the handle. But I stop.

Why are you stopping you fucking idiot the door right here. Run woman, RUN! My common sense shrieks at me. Yet I still hesitate.

He kidnapped you and kept you hostage. He's been cruel... sorta...

I snap back to my thinking self and open the door. Behind me I hear Jack stirring.

Shit shit shit. I run to the stairs and down them. Now I hear Jack sprinting behind me. I make it to the main door and fumble with the doorknob. I wrench it open and only get a step out before a hand is around my wrist.

"Jack you bastard. Let me go." I say trying to yank my hand back.

It wasn't Jack's voice that answered. "I'm sorry Seraphina. But I can't let you."

I turn and see Greg holding me. "Greg? What are you doing?"

"I recognized Jack a little bit after I saw him. I'd helped a bit on his case. Jack explained to me what was going on and he gave me proof that he is innocent. I can't have you running and telling the police that he is here."

Jack walks in behind Greg as well as Kin. "What did you say to her?" Jack asked cautiously.

"That you were innocent and I can't be running off." I answered for Greg. "What's the proof that you're innocent? What were you even charged for? Why were you a suspect? And why the fuck haven't you already told me this?"

Jack sighs through his nose and says to Greg, "I'll take it from here Greg. It's okay."

Greg releases me and I am immediately being pushed gently upstairs and back to the bedroom.

Once inside the bedroom Jack eases me onto the bed. He stands in front of me and begins pacing as he says, "I can't tell you everything. But I'll tell you what I am allowed." When I don't answer he continues, "I work for ... a company in a way that tells me to do things and I have to follow their rules. This company is secret to the US and it's citizens and works to help and protect them. I've been a member since I was really young. I was born into it really. And one of my favorite mentors texted me telling me he had a job for me and he couldn't talk about it over phone so I had to come over. When I got there I let myself in and I found him on the floor in a pool of blood around him. I so shocked I didn't realize his maid was there. She walked down the stairs and saw the situation and assumed it was me. I ran. She called the police claiming I'd killed him and took some of his possessions. I didn't too far before the police showed up. Thwy took me to jail. It wasn't hard with all of my training to get out of it. I needed a car obviously. I saw yours and I didn't see you under the blanket but I saw your purse so I assumed some lady had just been careless. I broke in and drove until a very annoying girl woke up. So now the police and the company are both after me. Any questions?"

I nod and say, "How do-"

"Jack? Get down here you're going to want to see this."

He rushes downstairs with me in front of him. Down stairs in the living room on the TV was a very familiar face. One I saw in the mirror every time.

Why am I on the TV?

"We now have news on the so called Owl who disappeared from jail a few nights ago. As we can see by this camera he is now traveling with a hostage. The girl is binded by her hands. It's hard to see but the bonds are wrapped around her wrists tightly. We still have no information on who she is."

"Shit." Jack said and turned to me. "I was going to leave you here as I continued to move but if they catch me without you I'll be accused of another murder."

I sigh, "So what you're saying is ... never getting out of this. And now the police and your weird ass company are after both of us. Great!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! As promised I dedicate this chapter to my little sister because she went to GOTR without killing her coaches. Please comment on what you think so far. Thanks!

FFOTD: You can call Auburn University who will answer ANY questions you have by calling
1 (334) 844-4244