04 ; cotton ball

Chapter Four: Cotton Ball

26 November, 1981

The responsibility to look after the strange dog, as they now called him, fell upon Remus, as he was the only one who the dog felt comfortable around. The first few days in the shelter, he seemed to be bitter, as he hated staying in his cage. But with the help of the small husky puppy, he got used to his new environment, and though he refrained from making any friends, he didn't seem to mind the company of the puppy.

Remus referred to the puppy as cotton ball, but didn't give him any permanent name. They always avoided doing so, so that when a dog got adopted, their new owner could give them any name of their choice. Thus, it was always rather difficult for them to communicate with a dog, especially with the strange dog who seemed to understand everything they said.

Remus arrived at the shelter one morning to be greeted with an adorable sight. The large cage where the strange dog rested was now also occupied by cotton ball, who was sleeping, his body rested so close to the large dog, that he was hardly visible. The strange dog looked around him with a haughty expression, as though daring anyone to harm the small creature.

"He wouldn't sleep last night, this cotton ball," said Adam, walking over to him and giving him half a smile. "Started a racket when we put him inside his cage, and luckily, Nancy had the sense to take him to his friend's cage. He fell right asleep after that."

Smiling, Remus left upstairs in order to check on the puppies that had fallen ill recently, making a mental note to take the strange dog and cotton ball outside to play when he came back.

Sirius had to admit, he was pleasantly surprised when the puppy stopped crying as soon as he was put in his cage. Walking over to him with shaky legs, he flopped down beside him, and snuggling up in his fur, immediately fell asleep. He stared at him with amusement, before a dull ache grew in his heart.

He remembered, one Christmas holiday at Hogwarts, he and James, who had stayed to accompany him, were having dinner at the great Hall when a howler arrived for him. It was, of course, from his dear mother, who reminded him for the umpteenth time what a disgrace he was to the family, informing him that they were having a Christmas dinner at the Black manor, where all the respectable "pureblood" families were invited. She told him how he had stained her name in front of the guests by not being present, and by the time the howler had disappeared into a wisp, his hands were clenched so tightly into a fist, that his fingernails dug into his palm.

James had held him firmly by the arms and taken him out of the Great Hall, and it was fortunate for him that only a few students were present to witness the incident. Despite that, he felt his heart ache, not because of his mother, but because of Regulus, who was slowly, but surely, drifting away from him. After being sorted into Gryffindor, his family had forced the youngest heir to not talk to his brother, though they secretly communicated at school, away from the prying ears of nosy Slytherins. But he couldn't help but notice that his meetings with Regulus were becoming shorter and less frequent, and he doubted whether they would continue after that.