17 ; pebblebrook

Chapter Seventeen: Pebblebrook

22 October, 1982

Sirius was scared.

He hadn't decide to rejoin the war, nor try to come to terms with the deaths of the people he loved most. He had simply decided to visit Marlene, and if possible, some of the other members of the Order. And at the moment he felt like there was boiling water ebbing through his veins, burning his insides. Would she talk to him? Would she throw him out of the house? Would she call him a coward?

She didn't seem to be angry when she had seen him that day, but that could be put to the shock she had experienced of seeing him after so long. Now that the initial shock was over, she could find the place for the anger or betrayal - whichever she felt towards him.

A sudden memory hit Sirius. It was during their fourth year. He and James were in the Great Hall for dinner when Marlene had stalked inside with a broad smile on her face. She seemed to have been extremely proud of something. When asked what happened, she had merely smiled.

The next day, rumours spread around Hogwarts that a blonde Gryffindor fourth year girl had injured a Slytherin boy who was bullying a muggleborn, and he had to spend the whole week in the hospital wing, with a nose that would continue bleeding until he apologised to the first year he was bullying, and a broken elbow. No one had dared to tease Marlene from then on, even for the most harmless of things.

Sirius wondered whether he would have to run around with a bloody nose until he had apologised to everyone he had left behind.

"Are you ill, Santa Paws?" Remus asked him with his hand running over his back. He picked up his food bowl and sniffed it, probably looking for bad odours. But it wasn't bad odours that were keeping Sirius from eating anything. He had a tight knot in his gut and he felt like he would throw up if he ate anything now. Nevertheless, he began to eat his breakfast when Remus put the bowl down. If Remus thought he was ill, he would take him to the shelter and he wouldn't be able to visit Marlene.

Remus gazed at him while he gobbled down his food. "You act so much like a human," he muttered, and Sirius looked at him, flashing him an innocent look. "You're probably a human in an alternate universe."

He cocked his head to the side, before reaching forward to lick his hand which was rested on his thigh. There, that's not human behaviour at all.

Remus laughed and drew his hand away. "Trying to prove that you are not a human?"

Sirius froze and looked up at him. But Remus merely brought his hand over to his neck and ruffled his long fur. "I'll be back for lunch. Be good. Don't play with glasses." And he placed a kiss on his snout before standing up to leave. Sirius let out the breath he had been holding, though he had nothing to be scared of. Remus had no reason to believe that he was, indeed, a two legged creature that could talk. He had simply been joking.