chapter / twelve

Florence politely put a wine glass on the surface of the bar, slowly filling it with blood red wine. She stayed silent as Polly's eyes stayed fixated on Florence's face. Once she had filled the glass to the brim, she placed the bottle down next to the full glass and finally met Polly's gaze.

"I hope you know I would never break that man. He is as precious to me as I am to him," Florence began, taking a small nervous breath beforehand, "I think he's a great person and I would love to get to know him more. I appreciate your concern but I promise you, I will never mess him up. Ever."

Polly blinked in shock, as if nobody had ever responded to her before in that way. She nodded briskly and picked up her glass of wine, then continued to retreat to the small part of the pub that the Shelby's practically lived in. Florence watched her walk away until she couldn't be seen. She was stunned that so much could happen in such a short time of her stay here in Small Heath.

Eventually, the night came to an end and Florence found herself in front of the Shelby's once more. 

"Come on you lot, off you go!" She laughed, gathering as many empty glasses and bottles that she could carry.

"But I'm not even drunk yet..." Arthur whined, his forehead against the table.

"I think you are. Go on, get out of here." Florence giggled, kicking the door open with her foot as Thomas watched her, "Even you Thomas."

The boys all groaned and Florence had noted that Polly was nowhere to be seen, which she was slightly relieved about. They all slowly trudged to the door after yelling 'goodnight' to her as she placed the dirty glasses in a bucket of soapy water. She acknowledged their departure with a small wave before attempting to wash up.

Once she had cleaned everything, she told Harry she was leaving. She grabbed her coat and made her way out the door. She felt a hand grab her arm and she was pulled into someone's chest. A gasp left her lips and Florence glanced up at her captor, letting a small smile appear on her face.

"Thomas Shelby, you sneaky little *peckerhead!" Florence laughed, turning to face him with a huge grin on her face.

"Sorry, love," He smiled back, "I just wanted to make sure you got home safely."

"You're too sweet." She smiled warmly at him before linking their arms, slowly beginning the walk to the bed and breakfast.

"I've been thinkin', maybe you should get a permanent house 'ere now, you know?" He said as they walked along the dark street. 

"I know, but I can't afford it at the moment, I didn't necessarily think about money properly until I got here," Florence sighed, "I just wanted to get away from London."

"I don't think payin' for a bed and breakfast every night is goin' to help you out though, Flo, why don't you come stay with me?" He asked, stopping in his tracks and taking her hands in his.

"Oh, Thomas, no I couldn't!" She stammered, "It's so soon and I-"

He cut her off, "I know but I care about you and I know 'Arry don't pay you that much. Thought it would be nice to wake up next to you every morning is all."

Florence looked up at him with her arms crossed, a cheeky grin on her face.

"Don't you try to guilt me." She scolded, playfully. "I won't stay with you because I.. I just can't, okay? It's a mad idea."

"Well at least let me pay for your stay at Cora's?" He begged, holding his arm out so they can resume their walk.

"You really are insane, you know that?" She laughed.

"So it's a yes then?" He grinned, "I can pay for you?"

"If you must, Mr. Shelby." Florence sighed with a huge smile on her face.

Thomas bent slightly and scooped Florence up in his arms bridal style, his arms firmly supporting her legs and her upper back. A small squeal left her lips as she clung to his neck tightly. He continued the walk to the bed and breakfast at the end of the street, smiling lightly at the girl in his arms.

Once they arrived outside the large brown door, Thomas put her down on the ground gently. Florence leaned up to give him a small kiss on the cheek before opening the door and retreating into the dark hallway of the building. Thomas tipped his hat to her before slowly making his way back to his own house.

Florence closed the door after sneakily watching Thomas walk away. She grabbed the set of keys from the hook and locked the door, as she usually did when she came home late from her shift. With a happy sigh, she made her way up to her room and curled up in bed, dreaming about Thomas Shelby.

_____________

*peckerhead = dickhead (basically)