chapter / fourteen

"Well, it's nice to meet you Grace..." Florence struggled for words as the woman she now knew as Grace avoided complete eye contact with her. "I actually work here at the Garrison. I'm sure I could persuade Harry to at least have a look at you."

"You would do that for me?" She answered, shifting her gaze to Florence's heart shaped face.

"Us girls. We've got to stick together." Florence smiled, giving her a wink.

Grace smiled back, letting out a small laugh. Florence beckoned Harry over once again, ordering another glass of wine for her new friend. She leaned over the bar to whisper in his ear.

"Give the girl a chance."

Harry looked at Florence, then at Grace. He sighed slightly before stating he'd wish to see them both tonight. Seemingly happy with his words, Florence said she'd arrive for her shift at 7 o'clock sharp and would see Grace later, then left to sit with Thomas once again.

"Who is she?" He asked as soon as she had sat down.

"Her name is Grace and she wants a job. That's all I know."

However, Florence couldn't help but think about the girl's Irish accent. It was too convenient for two Irish people to arrive on the same day, she thought to herself. She was ashamed in herself for making such a connection, due to the noticeable age difference between Grace and Mr. Campbell. Yet still, the thought stayed in the back of her mind as if it were stuck there with glue. It's not like age differences were unfamiliar to her.

"Florence? Are you a'ight?" Thomas' voice ushered her back to the real world.

"Sorry Thomas," She responded, sending him a reassuring smile, "I think I should stop with the alcohol now. It's getting to my head."

Soon enough, the sky darkens and the moon arrives, kicking the sun out of the sky and illuminating the gloomy streets with a light glow. Nervous for her first shift, Grace arrives early to the bar and is shocked to find Florence already mopping up a spillage at the bar with a large grin on her face. She tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear as she made her way to join Florence behind the bar.

A man whistled from a far away table, adding, "We got two pretty girls now!"

"Oh hush it, William, don't scare the new girl away!" The rosy cheeked man next to him whined, slamming his pint on the table, splashing droplets of beer everywhere. "Shelby's already stole the first one!"

Grace watched Florence closely. Florence had rolled her eyes at the men's comments, yet kept a smile on her face as if she didn't care about anything in the world. Harry had come to hand Grace an apron, which she accepted with a polite thanks before shadowing Florence and learning the whereabouts of drinks behind the bar and in the cellar.

Grace's analysing stopped when Thomas Shelby walked into the room. Her breath got caught in her throat by his handsome gaze, and a small smile appeared on his face as he came closer to the bar. He sat a seat away from where she stood and she went to ask him what he would like, but he beckoned Florence over and gave her a sweet kiss on the cheek. A small blush appeared on Grace's cheeks. Quick to distract herself, she started to pull a pint for another customer, yet she watched the two lovers in the corner of her eye and listened closely.

"Hi Tommy," Florence smiled, "the usual?"

"Of course, my darlin'," He replied, smirking, "since when 'ave I ever got anythin' different?"

"When I say it is very hard work for a lady to step down into the cellar to fetch an unopened bottle of whiskey." Florence sighed, bringing a hand to her head and pretending to wipe sweat away. "I think you should have just one glass toni-"

"I'll go and get you a bottle, sir." Grace hummed, smiling nervously from Thomas to Florence.

Surprised, Thomas glanced at her and then smirked, looking back to Florence. "Looks like I'll be gettin' a full bottle after all. Thank you, Grace."

Grace nodded and silently turned to fetch the whiskey.

"Grace, get two bottles. Saves another trip, 'aye?" Thomas called after her.

She looked back at him, her heart fluttering at the small smile on his face. She stared at him for a little longer, only to find he had become deep in conversation with Florence. She shook her head and entered the cellar, bringing out the finest whiskey The Garrison sold.

"She seems a'ight." Thomas commented, taking a sip of the drink Florence had just slipped in front of him.

"She's a very quick learner, I'm not surprised though. Harry said she'd worked in bars before, over in Ireland or something like that. I can tell." Florence smiled.

"You two becomin' friends?" He inquired, swirling the ice around in his drink.

"I hope so, she's very quiet at the moment. I'm sure she'll open up soon enough. Now, go on. Get. I'll have Grace send the bottles straight to the room, do you need anymore glasses?" Florence replied, bending to place two empty whiskey glasses in front of Thomas.

"Thanks, love." Thomas said, kissing her quickly on the lips before retreating to his usual spot.

Grace returned only seconds later and Florence told her to take the bottles into the room next to the bar. Grace nodded in response and walked to where the Shelby brothers were laughing loudly in the next room. She could hear them from outside the door. She knocked quietly and then opened the door, the heavy stench of cigarettes filling her nostrils. She noticed Thomas sitting back, watching her walk in and place the bottles down, whilst his brothers laughed madly at each other. Their eyes met briefly, which caused Grace to escape the room as quick as she could.

"Are you okay, Grace?" Florence asked, as she begun cleaning a pint glass with an old rag in a bucket of soapy water.

Grace had never met somebody so innocent... and oblivious.