chapter / fifteen

Clouds as dark as the dirty black streets of Small Heath littered the sky as Florence watched the rain slam against the window from the comfort of her bed. She sat with her back against the bed frame, a small sigh escaping her lips at the sight of such a dreary day. She snuggled back down into her covers and tried to get back to sleep, yet the hammering rain kept her awake; just as it had done the whole night.

She had finally felt herself drift off into the land of dreams when there was a harsh knock on the door. Startled, she felt her body jolt and had to hold her arms out to prevent falling off of the bed. The knocking started again and she groaned quietly.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" She called out, pulling on her dressing gown and her slippers, "Calm down, please!"

She yanked the door open and she recognised the old man as the one who tried to run her over yesterday. He had his hat in his hands and a blush crept on his cheeks as he saw Florence in her night attire.

"I'm sorry if I woke you, miss, but we are conducting an obligatory search of all the properties in Small Heath." He spoke, his accent noticeable with every word.

"Oh, well, sir - I only rent this place. I arrived a few weeks ago and haven't yet bought a property. I don't mind you having a look around, but I don't have much of importance. Is there something you're looking for in particular that I shouldn't have?" Florence spoke quickly, feeling queasy about a stranger looking inside her home. 

"You rent this place?" He questioned.

"Yes, it is a bed and breakfast after all. The kind lady downstairs has let me stay for so long, did she give you permission to come up here so early in the morning?" She replied.

"Oh, miss, I am part of the police force here in Small Heath. I am, formally, known as Detective Inspector Campbell. Churchill himself has sent me here on business." Mr. Campbell smiled, nodding at the petite girl in front of him.

"Right, so would you like to search my room? Or-"

"No, no, I understand that you are only renting. But if you end up owning a property, we will have to complete a thorough search of your property. Sorry for wasting your time, miss." He nodded once again before placing his hat back on top of his head.

Dumbfounded at the strange encounter, Florence closed the door on his over-friendly smile. She couldn't help but think of Inspector Campbell as a creepy old man. She sighed and started to get dressed, deciding to go and pay Thomas a visit to talk about the unusual early morning house call.

// HERE IS THE DRAFT FROM CHAPTER 15 THAT'S BEEN HIDDEN FOR 3 YEARS UR SORTA WELCOME???

I ONLY CAME BACK HERE TO READ THE BBC DRACULA FIC'S OK BYE