Chapter 8: Adjusting

A few weeks had gone by since the court hearing. Today, I had finally completely moved into my room in Stark Tower. This place was huge and I couldn't believe I was calling it my home. Stark Tower had a total of about 93 floors. Which means I basically get one whole floor to myself. My floor is right under my father's main penthouse floor. I have a room 10 times the size I did at the orphanage. I also have a huge living room, a full-size kitchen, a small gym, two huge bathrooms, my own science lab, my own office, and so much more I don't even know where to start. It just so happens that I overheard my father talking to Pepper about the reconstructions of some of the tower since it was used as battlefield headquarters during the alien attack. My father mentioned plans of redesigning some of the floors to fit each one of the Avengers. When he wasn't around, I Took the liberty to go through the plans and turns out the Steve's going to be living one floor underneath me. Which I am still deciding if it is good or bad. Maybe now that I'm going to be living here it'll make things easier for us. If there is an us because possibly after I am now known as Tony Stark's daughter, he'll keep his distance. I don't know what to do but I am just going to have to wait for him to make the first move.

"Good morning!" I said as I stepped out of the elevator and into the kitchen on my dad's floor.

"Hey kiddo, all moved in?" Tony asked me.

"Yeah, it was easy considering I don't own much!" I said as I sat down on the stool.

"Well, that is what I am here for! I will clear my schedule after 1PM that way I can take you to buy everything you'll need!" Pepper said while making her coffee.

"Oh, thank you! But you don't have to do that. I am sure you are a very busy woman and it can wait until you're free!"

"Okay, I'm free after one today," she replied as she smirked.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Tony asked.

"Whatever it is you're making."

Breakfast went smoothly. Tony and Pepper talked business and I was just waiting for them to ask me what I was going to do with my life. But they didn't say anything. I honestly did not know what I was going to do with my life. I was too scared and hurt to join SHIELD again. I was basically done with school so that wasn't an issue. I did think about doing college but I didn't know where to go. Would I go to school here in New York? Or would I go back in California? Moving into Tony's life as his daughter was harder than I thought it was going to be. I know I couldn't just sit here and live off his money. I was smart, a good field agent, and I was never one to just sit around all day. So if I didn't want to go to back to SHIELD, maybe school was a good option. But I didn't know whether to major in some type of science or engineering. Maybe I could do business and then work for my father's company. But that seemed boring. Sitting behind a desk, meeting after meeting. I mean it'd be cool to be involved somehow in Stark Industries, but I don't think I'd like that as my full-time job. I just needed time to figure things out, I guess.

I tried to pretend I was okay. But I was still hurting. I am still hurting. I miss him so much. I pretend like I understand it wasn't my fault and to some extent, it is true. I know it was not my fault. But I still feel like I am somehow responsible. It's a feeling that I'm scared will never go away. I know I can't sit here and weep and act like a hurt victim because all that gives is people's unwanted pity. But it is hard pretending that I am okay now. I am, but I am not okay. I am okay in the sense that I am finally with my father, with a good somewhat normal family. But I'm not because he's gone and I was not ready for him to be gone. I mean, I know you can never really be ready. But I just wasn't ready. There are moments where I forget that he's gone and then it all comes back when I have something to tell him or show him. And I can't. I'll never be able to. That is the worst part. Realizing that I will never ever be able to see him, hug him, talk to him or anything. Never again. Life is just not fair sometimes.