Chapter 9: Little Time Left

After spending most of the summer in New York, my dad was ready to go back to California. By that, I mean Pepper was pressuring him to do so since the Stark Industries HQ was in California and it's hard for Pepper to do her job as CEO from the other side of the country. Tony didn't fight her much on that since he had been struggling with the post New York war. I'd ask him if he wanted to talk and he would just give me a smile and say, "I'm alright, kid." It's been frustrating knowing that he's not just alright, but I also don't want to pressure him. I'm just trying to give him his space. I think moving away would help him.

I did not have much of a say about moving but I wasn't exactly against it. I wanted to be able to actually live in my dad's home. I was only there a few days at a time throughout the summer. Tony said we'd come back to New York for Christmas, but that's still over two months away. My only issue about moving is that I've gotten so used to a routine in New York, and Steve. I've gotten used to Steve. Nothing drastic has happened in the last couple months except for moments here and there. Neither one of us did anything about it but it was nice to just have him there. I just don't know how he'll react to me leaving in one week. I also don't know when a good time would be to tell him.

A knock on my bedroom door interrupts my thoughts. I get up from my bed and walk towards the door. I open it and Steve's standing there with a smirk on his face.

"Do you feel like fighting?" He asks.

"Depends, do you feel like losing?" I smirk back.

We make our way up to the gym and as we're standing in the elevator, I debate on telling him. I'm afraid that leaving will ruin whatever it is we have going on. A conversation about what we are or what we're doing would probably be very beneficial. But this is a conversation I know both of us have been ignoring. I can feel him looking at me, which causes me to look back at him.

"What?" I ask him and he just keeps starring.

"Hmm, nothing," he replies as he smiles and looks away. He does not make things any easier.

After a few rounds, both of us are tired and lay on the mats out of breath. I sit up to drink some water and he grabs my arm.

"Hey, I'm leaving tonight for DC. Fury needs me, you should come too," he says as I turn to face him.

"How long are you gone for?" I ask, ignoring his plea of me going back to SHIELD.

"I'll be back by Saturday, if all goes well."

"Oh gosh," I say realizing I leave for California on Friday.

"What?" he asks as he sits up.

"I was waiting to figure out how to bring this up, but we're moving to California for a while," I say looking down at my hands, "I leave Friday."

"Oh."

"So, that means I won't see you for a while after tonight then."

"Unless you come back to SHIELD," he says, "You know you're needed, and Fury wants you back."

"Just like you know that I can't go back, Steve. I just can't. I'm not ready to and I don't know if I ever will be. Plus, I'm just trying to enjoy my family for a bit."

"What are you going to do while you're over there then?"

"I don't know yet, Tony wants me to work with him on suits and anything new for the Avengers; all the behind the scenes of course, you know how against he is about me being out in the field. Pepper wants me to go to college or to work for Stark Industries. I've got options though. Options that don't require me going back to SHIELD."