two

"You're moving?" I asked, a frown forming on my face as my heart dropped. I stared at my childhood best friend, her eyes not meeting mine as we laid on my bed, my head turned to her.

"Yeah," Lauren mumbled, twiddling with her thumbs, which were rested on her stomach, "We move in two weeks. Something with my mother's job."

"Oh," I sadly responded, "Okay."

In all honesty, I felt like crying. I could feel the tears forming in the corner of my eyes, but I forced myself to wipe them away, and to not cry. Lauren and I have been friends ever since I can remember, we've been through a lot of shit together, and I can't stand to lose her.

"At least you'll be here for your birthday," I murmured, "We can celebrate it together."

"Yeah," Lauren smiled a bit, "True."

Lauren turned fifteen in a couple of days, her birthday being in June and all, while everyone else was already sixteen. She had her permit, but I already had my drivers license. I'm just waiting on my car.

"What do you wanna do, Lo?" I inquired, my eyes still on her.

She finally turned her head, eyes meeting mine, a small smile playing on her face, "I have an idea."

/

I put the photo down, putting it back in the bottom drawer. It was a photo of Lauren and me on her sixteenth birthday. She had a polaroid camera, so she took a lot of pictures of us that night. We spent it just the two of us, no big sixteenth birthday party or anything. I still remember that night, crystal clear, and what I had done for the first time.

I shook my head, sighing to myself as my phone began to buzz in my back pocket. I took it out, seeing Camila's contact name popping up.

I answered it, "Hey babe."

"Hey! Can you meet me at the park? I wanna hangout," Camila asked on the other line.

"Yeah, sure, give me a few," I responded, "See you there?"

"Okay," Camila giggled, her voice filled with joy now, "See you."

I hung up, putting my phone back into my pocket. I exited my room, walking into the kitchen to see my mom sitting down by the table, the table covered with scattered paper.

"Hey mom," I bent down, giving her a kiss on the cheek, "I'm gonna go meet Camila at the park."

"Okay," she mumbled, "Your dad is working late tonight. I'm not gonna make dinner, so pick up something if you want."

"Alright," I nodded, "Love you."

"Love you too, be safe,"

I shut the front door behind me, making sure to grab my car keys.

/

Lauren stared up at the tree, remembering the memories she had here. Lauren smiled a bit, fingers running over the bark. The tree looked the same, maybe a bit taller, and maybe a bit more leaves than she remembered. The tree stood tall, with leaves covering the branches, more growing since summer was quickly approaching.

Lauren took her jacket off, tying it around her waist. She perched a foot onto the bark, then began to climb it, grabbing onto the branches. When she found the branch that she used to sit on, and saw that it was still sturdy, she sat on it, getting a perfect view of the park.

The park was in the middle of Bridgewater. In the middle of the park was a pond, where some geese were. Kids ran around, and parents watched. Teenagers walked, either friends or couples, they laughed whatever way, enjoying themselves.