It's A Mess

I pulled my sweatshirt over my head and adjusted the fabric so it covered the diaper I was in. I looked at myself in the mirror above the sink and grimaced at the knots in my hair. I never got a chance to comb it out when we got back from camping and it needed all my attention to detangle it.

Darren knocked on the bathroom door. "Aly? Are you done in there?"

I bit my lip. "I need help."

"What do you need help with?"

I was only supposed to be in the bathroom to get dressed. I shouldn't have needed help with anything.

I pulled the door open and let Darren come into the small space. "My hair... it's a mess."

"I don't know much about hair but how can I help?"

"Can you help me comb it out?"

He looked at the sink and grabbed the thin comb that lay over the white surface. The comb was a bright blue with small teeth for combing. I was hoping it would work enough on my hair. It was similar to what I used at Owen's.

"Go sit down on your bed."

I followed Darren out of the bathroom and sat down on my bed, pulling my legs under me.

"Do you want a pillow to hold onto in case it hurts at all?"

I bit the inside of my lower lip. Maybe it was best if I held onto something as he picked the knots out. It wouldn't make it feel any better but it would prevent me from digging my nails into my legs. I nodded and took the pillow he handed over to me.

"I'll be as gentle as I can." Darren separated some of my hair and sectioned it off so he would have smaller pieces to work with. He had just started combing through a small section when someone knocked on the front door.

I looked up at Darren. I had no idea who could or would be knocking on the door so early in the morning. I didn't know if Darren got visitors on a regular basis either.

He handed the comb to me. "I'll be right back."

I watched him walk from the room before I got up and quietly followed. I wanted to know if this person visiting him was safe or not. I still didn't know if I was truly safe with Darren.

Darren opened the door and kept it from opening very far. "What do you want, Owen?"

Owen?

"I want her back. You took her from me." His words were slurred and I could hear him shuffling in place on the porch.

"You gave her to me, remember? You asked me to take her."

"I would never do that. I need her around."

"She's not yours anymore."

Owen pushed the door open and stumbled inside. His eyes scanned the room until they found me. I was frozen in place, unable to look away or move from where I stood in the hallway. The corner where I was crowded behind wasn't enough to keep me out of his sight.

A slow smile spread on his face. "There's my Abby."

What was he doing here? I swallowed down the lump in my throat. My hands gripped the wall tightly.

He walked closer to me and towered over me. "Just as beautiful as I remember."

My hands shook as I reached out and pushed him away. I backed up a step, praying that Darren would come help me.