epilogue

When Charles Byerley finally made it to the passageway that would open up to the Ravenclaw Common Room, he noticed the sound of footsteps following a bit behind him. He slowed, and as inconspicuously as he could, drew his wand. Just before he could say the password, he turned around and held his wand out threateningly, daring his invader to come closer.

He heard a squeal, and noticed the red hair of the first year Gryffindor he hated all too much, and snarled.

"Why are you following me, kid?" He snapped, pressing his wand closer. She took a step back, and her lip quivered.

"My- I- Mumma Rita told me to see what you're up to..." She trailed off, wringing her hands nervously.

"Mumma Rita? That horrible blonde who doesn't know how to keep out of other people's business? Merlin, doesn't that woman know when to stop!" He frowned, pulling his hair in frustration.

"I'm sorry." Madeline muttered, taking another step away from the Ravenclaw.

"What were you gonna do then? Follow me into my Common Room? I should tell McGonagall about all of this. She'd put a stop to it, that's for sure." Charlie asked, quirking an eyebrow.

"She just wanted me to ask if you've gotten any new information on Professors Potter and Malfoy." Maddy insisted, and Charlie shook his head.

"Unbelievable. Sending an eleven year old to do her bidding, unbelievable. I'll tell you the same thing I told her: it's none of anyone's business! If the professors wanted us to know about them, they'd tell us. Go away." He spat, muttering the password and closing the door behind him harshly. "Unbelievable."

~△⃒⃘~

Professor McGonagall had been quite busy coordinating her schedule when the door to her office opened abruptly, and an agitated Harry Potter walked out from the other side.

"Mr. Potter, what's the occasion?" She asked, a small smile on her pursed lips as she dropped her quill and folded her hands in her lap.

"Professor, we need to get rid of Rita Skeeter. She's bending the children to do her work for you, and she's invading some much-needed privacy of myself and fellow colleague, Malfoy." Harry rushed, taking a seat across from the headmistress and attempted to catch his breath. He'd stormed up there all the way from the dungeons, where he'd been helping Draco prepare some ingredients for a potion during his free period.

"And what exactly is going on between you and Mr. Malfoy, Harry?" The woman asked, and Harry stared at her.

"We're- we're working through things..." He spoke slowly, unsure of his own answer. "Trying to settle our differences: become friends, or something."

"Do you love him?"

"Professor, I don't see how that's of any relevance to the matter at hand..."

"Do you love him, Mr. Potter?" The headmistress pressed again, and Harry sighed, nodding.

"I might. I do. Oh Merlin, I do. I never thought I would, but something's changed. Anyways, Professor, how can we get rid of Rita Skeeter? She's threatening the students, and I'd have thought you'd be more aware, but-"

"You, Harry Potter, love Draco Malfoy. How interesting!" The headmistress interjected, though her voice no longer sounded quite like herself, and Harry frowned deeply, standing and drawing his wand.