Harbinger

Harbinger |ˈhärbənjər|

noun

A person or thing that announces or signals the approach of something; a messenger with news of the future.

            [Editor's Note]: Dean did not hear anything from Elena for over a year. While they tried not to think much of it, the seed had been planted in his and her mind. Eventually she called, as he hoped she would. There is much discussion over this reunion, and some of the angels believe this was when their relationship truly began. I disagree, choosing instead to recognize their beginning in 2013. But I must admit, if it was not for Malachai Parker and Elena's decision to seek the Winchester's help, their story would have been much different.

May 15th, 2015

Elena drives down the quiet highway, crying silently to herself as she presses her hand to her wounded side. She was alone, her friends mourning over her tragic loss back in Mystic Falls. Elena had waited until they'd sealed her empty coffin before leaving, assuring that her friends would not discover her absence for at least a lifetime.

Needless to say, things had not gone how she thought they would.

Wiping at her eyes, Elena reaches into her purse, digging for her phone with her eyes on the road. Once she's found it, she scrolls down to a contact she'd been staring at for a year and a half.

            Dean Winchester—Knight

Steeling her nerves, Elena hits the call button and waits as the phone rings. It's barely reached the second ring when he picks up.

"Elena?"

She sighs in relief, relaxing into the familiar tone of his voice. That old feeling returns to her in an instant.

"Hi," she musters, a fresh round of tears filling her eyes.

"Is everything okay? Did something happen?"

"Can you meet me somewhere?" Elena sniffles, rubbing at her nose harshly. Dean doesn't miss a beat, waving off Sam's protests as he points the Impala towards Mystic Falls. The case they were one would have to wait. "Can you meet me off Route 6? Exit 32?"

"Of course," Dean says, shushing Sam again when he tries to voice his opinion. "I'll be there in a couple of hours."

Elena pulls over when the call ends, turning off her car and waiting patiently. Dean was true to his word, for three hours later he pulls off behind her, hurrying out of the car and approaching her window. Seeing him, a swell of emotion fills her chest and she clambers out of the car.

"Elena, what happ—"

Elena slams into him, throwing her arms around his neck and burying her face in his shoulder. Dean is surprised at first, but he wraps his arms around her small shoulders and holds her until she steps back. It's now that he sees her tear stained face and his surprise is replaced by fear and worry.

"What happened," Dean pushes, gripping her shoulders tightly and holding her at arms length. Elena shakes her head, tears streaming down her face as she glances at Sam. Dean looks behind him, giving his brother a look until Sam retreats to the inside of the Impala. "What happened, Elena?"

"I made a deal," Elena says quietly, shaking. Dean's blood runs cold. "With a witch—Kai. I had to... I had to leave. To save them."

"I don't understand," Dean says, stepping closer to her. "Who's Kai? What did he do?"