Yen

Yen

noun [ in sing. ]

A longing or yearning for something or to do something; a craving for something close at hand but currently unobtainable.

            [Editor's Note]: The events leading up to Dean and Elena's first kiss were very chaotic. The beginning of their romantic relationship coincided with the end of the threat of the Darkness and the beginning of the clash with the Men of Letters. While these events did trigger the dawn of their amorous interactions, the actions and decisions made during this time indirectly led to their end. But let us not dwell on that quite yet—there is still much to discuss before then.

May 25th, 2016

"The angels are..." Castiel enters the bunker, his face downcast. Elena looks up from her hands, looking at the angel expectantly. He'd been gone for some time, even longer than Sam and Dean when they went to Waverly Hills. Elena had wanted to go with them, but Dean made her stay behind. "Heaven won't help."

"They know that this is the end, right?" Dean looks shocked—they all are. "Of everything."

"Yes," Castiel says, exasperated.

"And they don't care," Sam asks, taking a step forward. Elena crosses her arms over her chest, sighing deeply. She felt useless sitting here surrounded by the Winchesters, a powerful witch, the King of Hell, and most surprisingly, God himself. It was dizzying.

So much had happened; so much had changed. Elena didn't even fully comprehend how it had come to this. Everything had happened so quickly in the previous months, and it had been crazier than anything Elena had ever endured back in Mystic Falls. She was doing her best to accept the new normal, to help the Winchesters in any way she could, but now? Killing the Darkness—God's sister? She didn't have a clue.

            [Editor's Note]: I tried to explain the "soul bomb" business to her while all this was happening, but I could see in her eyes she was having trouble following.

"No, it's not that. It's..." Castiel looks over at God. "They know—they know God is dying and they don't think we can win this. Souls or no souls. They're sealing Heaven, and they're dying with dignity."

"Well, that's awesome," Dean says, turning to Sam. Elena suddenly feels extremely left out, even more than before, and she realizes they're all sitting in a circle—Dean leaning against the back of a chair, Sam and Castiel flanking him on either side, Rowena and God sitting arm and arm on the steps, Crowley finishing the circle at the end of the table—except for Elena. She's on the other side of the table, closest to the stairs, her only chance at inclusion occurring when Castiel shifts from foot to foot.

"Alright, Crowley. What about you?" Sam's question directs all of their attention to the demon.

"Well, I had the souls we needed—"

"What do you mean had?"

"While I was indisposed, a few of my demonic pals decided to raid my stash," Crowley explains, glaring at Dean. Sam sighs, exchanging a look with his brother. Elena knew that look: they were all screwed.

"Well, what we have... it's not enough," Castiel says, his eyes landing on the crystal containing the souls from Waverly Hills. They all seem to sigh cohesively.

Suddenly the electricity buzzes, the emergency lights flashing an alarming red. Dean turns to Elena immediately, rising from his position with a startled look on his face.