Fundamental

Fundamental |ˌfəndəˈmentl|

adjective

Forming a necessary base or core; of central importance; so basic as to be hard to alter, resolve, or overcome.

            [Editor's Note]: I believe there are many fundamental requirements for a healthy, stable relationship. We would be here for the rest of eternity if I was tasked to explain them all. There is, however, one I would like to focus on: firsts. Every couple seems to have gone through their own version of this list. While firsts are flexible with time and subject for every relationship, they all seem to follow relatively the same pattern—and of course most firsts are in fact exactly the same. This list is obviously personalized to Dean and Elena, but I suppose it could also work for many other relationships.

June 1st, 2016

[First time]

"Sam is going to see me," Elena hisses, frantically searching under Dean's bed for any of her clothes. Everything last night was a blur—a wonderful, perfect blur, but still a blur. They'd started in the kitchen, and when she realized things were much more heated than what was appropriate for the kitchen, Elena had dragged Dean to her room. Somewhere in the heat of things—maybe when they realized they needed a condom?—she guessed they had found their way to Dean's room. Her clothes clearly had not made the trip.

"It's too early, he'll be sleeping," Dean says, his voice at full volume. Elena quickly shushes him, moving to the other side of the bed to see if she'd missed a stray bra. "Damsel, come on. It's not like we're teenagers sneaking around. And these walls are pretty thin."

"Oh my god you mean he heard us?!" Elena sits up straight, mortified. Dean just chuckles, throwing himself back against the pillows.

"I didn't know you were a screamer," he muses.

"I'm usually not," Elena mutters, giving up her search and raking her hands through her hair. Dean raises his eyebrows and cocks a grin, intrigued by her comment.

"So I was just that good," Dean praises, causing Elena to roll her eyes. Huffing, she drags herself off the floor and moves towards his dresser. "Top drawer on the right."

"Thanks." Elena follows his directions, pulling out a shirt and buttoning it lopsided. "And could I borrow some—"

"Drawer directly below," he says. Elena opens the drawer and frowns, plucking one of the articles of clothing out of the drawer and hanging it in front of her on one finger.

"I meant shorts or sweatpants. Not your underwear," Elena snaps, glaring at Dean.

"I told you he's not gonna be awake! It doesn't even matter," Dean says, sitting back up. "And you could always just come back to bed."

"First of all, your brother likes to run in the morning. Meaning he very well could be awake and walking around out there. Second, I want to shower. I'm... well... You know what, no, I don't need to explain because you know exactly what I'm talking about," Elena finishes, roughly stepping into the baggy underwear as Dean chuckles. "Next time, my clothes follow us, alright?"

"Alright, princess. Go enjoy your shower," he says, laying back down and covering his face with a pillow. Sighing, Elena stares at him for a moment before turning on her heels and making a beeline for the door—all the while keeping a firm grip on the underwear to prevent it from falling.