7

Crescent awakes with a start, snapping into a sitting position. She tears away her covers to find that instead of a beautiful ballgown she's wearing the striped pajama shorts and oversized t-shirt she wore to bed.

"It was all just a dream." She whispers. She falls back on the pillow and turns on her side, curling into herself. He was just a dream. A wonderful, marvelous dream. Her vision becomes blurry with unshed tears. How could she have been so stupid? Of course it was a dream.

She brings her hand to her face to wipe away the escaped tears. Crescent pulls it away from her face and notices for the first time her precious charm bracelet is missing. She jumps out of bed and begins searching it for the silver strand. She shakes out the covers and throws the pillow to the floor after shaking it out.

She felt the bracelet being pulled from her wrist as she was fleeing the nightmare monster.

But that was a dream.

Wasn't it?

Could it had been real? She remembers Morpheus's promise. The night was too perfect-too true to have been but a dream. The kiss. His words. The ball.

For a fleeting moment, Crescent considers going to stepsisters and questioning them. The idea leaves as quick as it comes. Her stepsisters if they didn't laugh outright at her, they would demand to know how she got there and what she did. Or worse they will tell her stepmother. She shivers at the thought.

It's at that very moment that her alarm clock decides to go off. Crescent jumps, startled by the sound. She switches it off before dropping it back down on the nightstand. She looks out the attic window to see the first rays of light rising from the horizon.

Crescent rushes around the room, gathering fresh clothes to change into and shoving her schoolbooks into her backpack. If she hurries she can be ready and out the door before Amara and Amaris are awake.

She pulls the door shut behind, trying her hardest not to make a sound. When it clicks she lets out a relieved sigh and bounds down the front steps of the house. She speed walks down the road only daring to slow down when she is a street or two over from the house.

Crescent kicks a rock across the sidewalk, it rolls onto the grass and stops. She sighs. If Morpheus is real how is he going to find her? She hugs herself, remembering the way his wings wrapped around her. A smile tugs at her lips.

The spring wind blows over her, causing goosebumps to rise along the exposed flesh of her arms. She should have worn long sleeves or at least a hoodie. Crescent glances up, her eyes traveling along the fencing encasing the school. Her breath hitches in her throat.

It can't be.

Leaning against the wire fencing clothed in black slacks and a navy dress shirt is a figure. His black hair is brushed back and his lips are curved into a smirk. He turns his head and Crescent's green eyes lock with his startling blue ones.

A single word falls from her lips. "Morpheus."

"I told you I would see you again, my queen." His accent wraps around the word. Crescent nearly melts as the sound of his voice.

"How?" He smirks in response.

Morpheus pushes himself off the fence and crosses the space between them in a couple long strides. His pulls his hand from his pocket and unfurls it revealing Crescent's charm bracelet. She gasps and reaches for it only to have Morpheus pull it from her grasp. Before she can ask he grabs her wrist and wraps the silver chain around it. He clicks it shut and draws her hand to his lips. She blushes and pulls her hand away. A chuckle reverberates through his chest.

"I suppose I should properly introduce myself." Crescent raises her head. Morpheus reaches over and takes her hand in his. "I am Morpheus, God of Dreams, and King of the Oneiroi-the dream spirits." He places a lingering kiss to the back of her hand.

"You're the God of Dreams." She repeats-half in awe, half in disbelief. He smirks.

"I am." She nods, unsure of what to say.

"I did not merely come here to return your bracelet, though that is reason enough." Crescent giggles, covering her mouth with her hand. "Would you do me the honor of being my queen?" Instead of answering, Crescent presses her lips to his. She pulls away, her cheeks blazing red.

"I'd love to be your queen."

Morpheus offers his hand. She places hers in his and they vanish into the world of dreams.

The End