Chapter 9: Pretty Lies and Beautiful Truths

Dez was already at the restaurant when I arrived.

He was sitting in a booth in a more private corner of the diner we'd agreed to meet at—the Valley's Galley. It was just at the edge of town and low-key enough that most of the patrons were older couples who went in and out of the diner quickly. Not such a popular spot for people our age, which was precisely why we'd chosen it. As far as I saw, only two other tables were occupied now—and both far away from where Dez sat, waiting for me.

As soon as I stepped through the door, Dez's eyes flashed to mine, and he straightened in his seat. I fought hard not to look too long at those eyes—the face that held them. Not when both seemed to strike me stupid every time I saw him.

He was wearing a simple white tee and jeans, his dark chestnut hair softly tousled and damp—probably from a shower after practice. As I approached the table, he remained silent, waiting for me to speak first. I glanced at the empty seat in the booth across from him. But before I sat down, I turned to him and said, "You're going to tell me everything I want to know?"

He nodded once, clearing his throat. "Yes."

I stared at him for a moment before tossing my jacket into my side of the booth, noting the way his shoulders seemed to sag in relief as I did.

"Let's start with Lewis then," I said as I took my seat, "I find it hard to believe that he didn't know anything considering you're both on the team."

"Not everyone knew about it." His voice was low, almost too quiet for me to hear above the clanging of plates and silverware from the kitchen, especially as he said, "I didn't either. At least, not until it was too late."

My body went rigid—though I tried not to let my shock at that news show. Everything he'd said up to this point implied that he'd known everything. But I didn't address his involvement, not yet.

"How is it that Lewis didn't know?"

"We'd just had dinner with our coaches and families to celebrate the start of the season. A few of the guys on the team decided to hang around for a bit after our parents and coaches left, and that's when Hannah called Lewis to tell him you were coming. I overheard their conversation—but so did the rest of the guys."

I willed myself not to cringe at the mention of those particular teammates, but that didn't stop the cold shiver that licked its way down my neck and shoulders. Dez didn't need to tell me who else had stayed behind and overheard. They'd made it clear enough themselves.

"Don't get me wrong," Dez continued, "Most of them aren't bad guys. But there's a handful of them who aren't too fond of me. When they saw my reaction to you coming, they decided to make a stunt out of it."

Reaction?

"What reaction?"

"Just—" He paused, seeming to choose his words carefully. "Not what they expected. I was surprised. I don't know, I guess they thought it meant more than it did."

I ignored the strange pang in my gut.

"Aren't you captain of the team? What would they have against you?"

"Just another reason for them to resent me more than they already do."

I waited for the explanation, but he didn't get to give one as the server came by at that moment to take our orders. Dez gestured for me to go first, and without really looking at the menu, I opted for a cheeseburger and fries. The server nodded before facing Dez. "And for you?"

Dez turned his head towards the server, but those gold-flecked eyes stayed on me as he spoke. "Just make it two."

"Alright, two cheeseburgers and fries. Is there anything else I can get for you two?"