Wattpad Original

Chapter 31

As I continued leading the group, I sniffed the air again. The smell of hot pavement and shingles meant we were getting close to the road and some sort of building. Another scent was present as well.

I frowned. "We're getting closer, and there are some humans ahead. They must have been here for a while for their scent to be so heavy."

Ben and Hank moved closer to the front of our small procession since they knew I wouldn't want to interact with strangers.

Mere minutes later, we exited the trees almost right on top of the truck stop. There were over a dozen vehicles nearby with open gas caps, so we might be able to find the needed part and leave before we encountered the humans whose scent lingered in the area. I tucked the jerrycan of diesel under a shrub before leaving the trees. No sense tempting any potential survivors.

Hank was already heading toward the nearest diesel truck and opened the hood. Movement caught my eye, and I spotted someone lounging on the roof of the gas station. From how the windows had been heavily boarded up, the group was probably living inside.

The man noticed us and called out, "Hello there!"

Ben called back, "Hello!"

Several men came around the building, looking surprised to see us. We waited as the man from the roof climbed down a ladder and came over.

"We weren't expecting company," the stranger said, "so we don't have any food to offer. What are you doing all the way out here on foot?"

"Our truck broke down. Do you mind if we check these for parts?"

The guy shrugged. "Go for it. They're useless as they are. Where are you headed?"

Ben wandered over to where Hank was already working to free the required part from a nearby truck. "A Stronghold about seven hours away. Mind if I ask why you're camping out here?"

The guy's shoulders sagged, and he sounded tired. "Our truck broke down, and we haven't been able to get any of these vehicles working. They're all out of gas."

Something didn't seem quite right, almost as if it were an act. He was downwind, so I wasn't able to check his scent to see if he was lying. No one else seemed to notice anything strange about how overly-dejected the man was.

"We have some room in the truck if you want a lift," Ben offered.

I wasn't impressed with the thought of more human strays joining us. We had just gotten rid of the previous four!

The guy nodded happily at Ben's idea as his friends drew closer. "That would be great. But we have different plans. Put your hands in the air."

As three of the men drew guns, my muscles tensed in rage. Chloe took one look at my body language and raced back into the forest. The gunmen ignored her in favor of keeping the guns trained on us.

"Don't do anything foolish," the man warned us, "or we'll shoot. Hands above your heads. Now!"

I gritted my teeth as I lifted my hands up with the rest of our group. Even if Daniel had been here, there was no way the two of us could take out three gunmen without the risk of someone being shot. Chances were it would be one of our human companions. Especially with the way my luck ran.

"Good. Now walk nicely with us into the gas station."

My muscles shook in anger as my Nightstalker instincts raged against what I was being forced to do. I managed to walk with the others into the building without snarling or growling, but my jaws were clenched in the effort of containing the sounds. Joel and a couple of the others glanced at me as if hoping I could save them. I refused to meet their gaze as my mind kept trying to think of a way out of this.