CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - Thirty-one Thousand Feet

"Timber, Honey? Are you alright?" asked Grace, poking her head into Timber's bedroom.

"It's Mom's birthday today," said Timber bleakly.

She was sitting on her bed in her pajamas and loathing the fact that it was summer vacation because she had no schoolwork to keep her mind off of her mother. Her hair was unbrushed and her face showed nothing but sadness. Grace came in and sat down beside her and held her for a few minutes. Timber sunk into the embrace. She knew she should be crying, but no matter how hard she tried, she could not produce tears.

"I was talkin' with your uncle," said Grace gently. "We think you and Emily would enjoy a vacation this summer. What do you think?"

"A vacation? Where?"

"I don't know yet," admitted Grace. "Chad had the idea of throwin' darts at a map."

"Emily would poke her eye out," said Timber.

"That's what I said," laughed Grace. "We thought about the zoo."

"No," said Timber immediately. "No zoos."

"Why not?"

"Before I was found and brought here, I was found by a human in my wolf form and put into a cage. I don't want to see other animals in cages. I don't. It's cruel. That's what it is. Cruelty. I won't go! I won't go! You can't make me!" Timber was quickly approaching hysteria so Grace grabbed her and rocked her back and forth, running her hand from the top of her head to the bottom of her neck until she calmed down.

"Alright," said Grace soothingly. "No zoos. What about a theme park?"

"Like Disneyland?"

"Hmmm, I have to look at prices but I think it's a great idea," said Grace. "Emily would enjoy herself. You won't be able to shift durin' the day, though."

"I've had enough practice at school," said Timber. "When do we leave?"

"How about tomorrow," said Grace. "There's one thing. Emily won't sit through a car ride that long. If we go, we'll drive to the Bay Area and then take a plane. Could you handle that?"

"As long as I'm with you or Uncle Chad," said Timber. "I've never flown before."

"Neither has Emily. Her gettin' scared isn't as much of a concern. She'll just cry."

"My wolf?"

"Yes."

"I'll manage. I'll stay in my wolf form for the car ride. That way I can stay in human form at the airport."

"Good idea." Grace got to her feet. "Well, I'd better start shoppin' for a room and flight. Don't tell Emily where we're goin' yet."

"I won't." Timber grinned.

Grace left the room and Timber lay down on her bed, looking at the ceiling with a smile. Her mom had always wanted to go to Disneyland. Timber was going to fulfill her wish. She got off her bed and ran downstairs to grab the phone. Then she ran back upstairs to call Xianna.

"Hey, Timber!" said Xianna's voice.

"Hey, I'm gonna have to cancel our plans for this weekend," said Timber.

"Why do you sound so happy about it?" asked Xianna.

"I'm going to Disneyland!" Timber had to pull the phone away from her ear because Xianna screamed.

"That's so cool!"

"Right? I just found out. I have to go because I have to pack. We're leaving tomorrow. I'll call you when I get back and we can hang out then."