Chapter 1 - When I Look Into Your Eyes

Slade sighed as he walked out of his school. Another day of school, another day he had done nothing productive.

Slade lived an ordinary life, though he lived it by himself. His parents had died years ago, and ever since then, he's been living by himself. And he never complained because he was a chipmunk who enjoyed being alone.

As he walked home, he got lost in thought, staring at his feet. After his parents death, he had stopped dating anyone. Whenever someone came up to him and tried flirting, he would just stare at them before turning away and leaving in silence.

It wasn't that he disliked the people that came up and flirted with him, it was just that he didn't want to get into a relationship, and then one day suddenly lose them unexpectedly... like he had with his parents. He couldn't go through that pain anymore.

So, he shut himself down from the dating game. He took down all of his social media so people couldn't ask him out. He even changed his phone number.

Slade wasn't depressed, but he wasn't joyful. There were moments when he enjoyed life, and then there were moments when he despised life. It all depended on what had just happened to him.

Continuing to walk, Slade then thought about that if he was willing, would he ever find someone he could truly love. Someone who lived up to his standards. Someone who was different like he was.

There were few chipmunks that lived up to those standards, but once he truly got to know them, they were complete jerks. A quality that did not draw Slade.

Maybe his perfect soulmate just wasn't out there. That maybe he was destined to be alone.

If you asked him a few months ago, he would have said that he was going to get married some day. That he was going to have kids and start a family.

But if you asked him now, he would laugh and reject the idea, saying that by now, he might as well be in his grave.

Slade looked up from his feet as he noticed that he had stepped onto his driveway.

He had a normal house, nothing was unusual... well, if you didn't count his crazy neighbors who claimed they had a child.

Slade however, saw no child in that house. He would even check, but there was no trace of a kid living there whatsoever.

Slade sighed once more and headed towards his front door.

"It's great to be home, don't you think, Alvin?"

"I guess so..."

Slade stopped once he heard that voice. Looking in the direction, his mouth dropped a bit.

"What do you mean you guess so?"

"You're sure I don't have to go back to the hospital, right?"

"We don't know yet..."

Alvin sighed and turned his head.

Slade gulped and froze as his and Alvin's eyes locked, looking into each other's eyes.