CHAPTER 5 TROUBLE

That evening, just as dusk was closing in over the yard, Becky sat at her bedroom window combing her hair, watching the chickens scurry off to their roosting spots. She was warm and sleepy form her bath, but her heart began to beat a little faster when she saw John turn his horse off the road and canter up the lane.

He did not do his usual daredevil stunt of reining in the pony at the last minute and leaping off to one side. Instead he dismounted and stood a moment deep in thought as a plume of dust settled about his feet. He walked slowly towards the house and disappeared under the porch roof. She heard him stamp his dusty boots on the wooden planking before entering the kitchen, then muffled voices. Avoiding the telltale, creaky floorboard she crept out onto the landing. Her first instinct had been to rush down but John had not been back to the farm since the day they all arrived – nearly three weeks now – and Becky knew that something was up.

The kitchen lamps were already lit against the oncoming night, casting a glow out into the hallway. Becky could see shadows passing in front of them as Tóta busied herself warming some supper for John. She went down a couple of stairs and sat down, tucking the flannel nightie around her cold legs.

The pleasantries of his arrival were soon over and as the plate of food was set before him, John launched into his news. "Your boss Mary, Becky's dad, went to Mr. Stevenson just a few weeks before he . . . well, before the accident, and asked to borrow a large sum of money to put down on a farm."

Mary sounded puzzled, dreamy almost. "He talked to me about moving to the country, but that's all I thought it was, just talk. Anyway," her tone changed, "how did you hear of it?"

"From Emily, the Stevenson's maid. She came down to the docks this afternoon especially to see me. She had to sneak out, putting herself at risk for her position. She overheard a row between Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson this morning and plastered her ear up against the door."

John took a mouthful of food. "Mrs. S was looking over the books apparently, when she noticed that the sums didn't add up. Mr. Stevenson being cornered now, had to confess about the loan to Becky's dad. He already had someone looking into it and said it was probably sitting in a bank someplace and it would all come to light soon enough. But she would have none of it! 'That Indian's got our money,' she screams. First thing after lunch, off she marches to the Justice of the Peace, Mr. Seymour to lodge a complaint."

"Bless Mr. Stevenson," said Mary. "He is such a good man. He always was kind to us. But his wife . . . "

"Ach, there's nothing stolen." Hamish lit his pipe. He paused as he puffed to get it going and a curl of smoke rose out of the kitchen and up the stairs. The sweet, earthy smell of tobacco soon reached Becky. "I am sure Mr. Stevenson is right when he says the money's hiding in plain sight. Let the girls ride out the storm using the proper, legal channels. I will write to Alexander and get him on the case."

Alexander was Hamish's son, and – according to his father – a damn fine lawyer. He had a practice in Toronto where he was gaining a good reputation with up and coming politicians.

"No! They have to go." Tóta was unusually quick to her feet and pounded a fist on the table. "Sure, we know there isn't any money here, but the authorities don't. She's a native girl, and this is trouble. You put far too much faith in the ways of justice here Hamish. Seymour, like all the J.P.'s before him, is in the pocket of the rich and will take their side over ours nine times out of ten. Mary could be a year in gaol before this is sorted out, and the child taken. Nobody has any idea where this money is. She'll be safe over there in England for as long as it takes to find it."

Frowning, Becky found a hard patch of skin on her knuckle and chewed it. This was all bad news.

John scraped his plate and asked for a slice of bread to mop up the gravy. "Tóta's right Hamish. You have to see that." He spoke with his mouth full and Becky had to strain to hear.