Ch 13 BECKY FINALLY MEETS AN OLD ACQUAINTANCE

Mary bewildered, shook her head an unspoken question forming on her brow.

"I am certain of it. Did Dad never show you?"

The frown deepened. Mary shook her head again.

"Mum showed me when I was little . . . very little I think, but it wasn't interesting so I forgot about it."

Mary was getting impatient. "Will you tell me please."

Becky did her best, but it was hard to explain in words just how the secret compartment in the dresser actually worked – so she part mimed as well as described where it was hidden.

Mary knew the dresser inside and out of course – she had dusted it as well as used its contents a hundred times or more. The top part held cups and china that were displayed on racks designed to show them off at their best. On the bottom were two cupboard doors, and inside more shelves where Becky's mother had kept her table linens, a few oversized mixing bowls and some other larger dishes that wouldn't fit above. It had made no sense to change this arrangement and Mary had kept everything the same. But, as Becky explained, one of these cupboards held a secret.

She told Mary that if she had put her hands up to the ceiling of the right cupboard – something a person would normally find difficult because they would have to be on their knees with their hands up and at an odd angle – then two little pegs could be felt. When these were turned, a sort of drawer would drop which was hinged at the back, with two chains at the front so the whole thing wouldn't fall completely.

"It wasn't meant for anything heavy," Becky explained. "Mum said important papers and sometimes jewelry were kept there in the old days. I found a few old coins and Mum said I could play with them. But . . . " she added excitedly, "it would be the perfect hiding place for some money. Even if there was a lot of it."

"Well I never . . . In all these years I had no idea." Mary was silent for a while as she mulled over what to do next. When she spoke she was decisive. "The money may not be there at all, so I don't think we should change our plans of taking you to England."

On this Becky had to agree seeing as how she was now quite excited by the whole prospect. But it reminded her of the farm again, and now seemed as good a time as any to ask Mary about it.

"Why didn't I know that Dad planned on a farm?" She looked directly at Mary, clearly expecting an answer this time.

"We . . . " Mary met her gaze to begin with and then looked away, plucking at a bit of fluff on her blanket. "You have to believe me Becky when I say it was a big a shock for me too, to learn he had really gone and done it, bought one I mean. Then . . . then it was only a week from his mentioning it to him . . . well, to the accident."

Mary looked upset. It had been a rough day and Becky thought it best not to go on.

"Dad would have told me eventually I suppose. He told me everything. I know you were really fond of him too." She patted Mary's hand, then thought of something to make her feel better. "Let's write a letter to Grandpa Hamish before we leave in the morning. He can look for the secret drawer, then give the money back to Mr. Stevenson. And . . ." she said with a flourish, pleased to have solved the mystery of the missing money and come up with a solution, "you will be free and in the clear."

Mary nodded, managing a little smile.

They had no paper and no pen either.

"I'm sure Mr. Brown will have some," suggested Becky.

She hadn't a clue where his cabin might be, but set off to find it – turning out of her door, heading up the stairs and out on to the deck. And that's where she found him – smoking his pipe, watching the evening's activities through the lens of a small brass telescope.