Chapter 2 - Eazy's Backwoods

I leaned over the counter of the 7/11,  smacking on a piece of bubblegum while Yoshi stood on the customer side, eyes glued to his phone.

"Damn, I got that nigga good!" He said excitedly as he shoved the phone in my face showing me a video of last night's fight. It was at the part where Trinity grabbed me by my hair, yanking me away from Yoshi and Eric. I ran my tongue over my wounded lip, still a little pissed about it, but whatever.

"Turn that shit off." I said annoyed as I leaned up off the counter and grabbed my bottle of water from beside the register.

"I'll turn it off, but it's everywhere. It's going viral" He laughed and I cut my eyes at him.

"Can you explain that to me again? What was that all about?" I resumed my position leaning against the counter grateful that it was a slow day and I'd only had about two customers in the last hour. The last thing I wanted was a bunch of people coming in here trying to be funny about last night seeing as how I pretty much got my ass whooped.

Yoshi shrugged nonchalantly as he began typing something on his phone. I reached over and snatched it from him, holding it in my hands waiting for him to give me an answer.

"What you want me to say? You know the story, you were there." He let me keep his phone as he walked away, searching the aisles for snacks.

He was right, I was there, but lately things were becoming blurry for me. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be aiding Yoshi in a fight against Eric, I would've laughed in your face. A year ago Yoshi and Eric were friends. They had cookouts in his backyard together, They partied and fucked women together, they broke the law together.

We'd all met right here in this very store. Yoshi worked up the block at McDave's grocery store and when he got off he'd always come keep me company for a couple hours. Eric came into the store regularly to buy backwoods because we were one of the only stores in the area who still sold them. I knew of Eric because he was making a lot of noise in the street, but back then I only knew him by his nickname, Eazy. I thought he was the most beautiful man I'd ever seen and that was saying a lot because I didn't typically have those kinds of thoughts about men. He had a subtle power and I turned into jello every time he came around.

It was a night when Yoshi had stayed a little later than usual and Eric came strolling into the store smoothly. I felt my face go warm when he looked at me and gave me a head nod and a smile.

"Let me get the backwoods." He said, but I was already grabbing them from off the wall behind me.

"Here you go. Anything else?" I asked receiving his usual answer, which was a polite, "no thanks."

"Aye, if you like them woods, you'll like them organic joints for sure." Yoshi spoke up nodding towards the hemp wraps behind me.

"Word? Let me get some of those too." He said to me with a smile. I moved quickly laying them on the counter for him. He paid with a 20 dollar bill and as I was handing him back his change he pushed it back to me.

"Keep it for yourself lil mama." He smiled stuffing the gars in his back pocket. "And hey, if y'all ain't doing shit after you get off come through to my pool party." He gestured towards my phone laying on the counter, so I handed it to him. "I'ma put the address in. I wanna see you there." He looked directly into my eyes and all I could do was smile like a child meeting Santa.

Yoshi teased me about it for the rest of the night, asking if I needed to change my underwear after the encounter. I gave him the silent treatment the entire night.

I went to the party initially thinking I was gonna end up snagging the infamous Eazy for myself because why else would he have invited me? It was a childish thought and I soon found out that Eazy had invited a lot of girls to the party and that I was one of many. Despite my girlish dreams of being Eazy's girl being crushed, a friendship did form. Yoshi and Eric became friends fast which was another rarity for us. Yoshi and I weren't friendly, but Eazy was an exception. For Yoshi he was kind of like the big brother he always needed.