3

j e n n i e

j e n n i e

A tense silence filled the air.

"Yeah, I guess so. Are you okay with it?" I ask, after that awkward silence. He doesn't reply, but instead wraps the blanket around him as he goes back to rest.

I stifle a sigh and carry the Dettol water to the kitchen to clean it, before proceeding to start cooking.

I've never been a great cook, so when I cut myself while trying to cut onions and burnt myself on the stove, I wasn't surprised. All I had to do was take the cook the canned kimchi and smother rice in kimchi paste. It was really that simple. Yet, I managed to hurt myself. 

I put on a lecture I had to listen to while cooking. Whereas some people preferred to jam out to music, I liked to multitask and complete some work when doing something else, which was listening to Professor Jung's lecture while cooking for the three of us. Somehow, the lecture made time pass by faster, and after a while, I was done cooking. I put the poorly-made kimchi fried rice on three plates and beckoned Taehyung to eat first, since he didn't seem happy with eating with Jimin and I.  

Once again, he only turned to face the other side.

Aish, what is with him? He should be thankful I took him. Oh well, at least Jimin and I can enjoy our lunch together.

At that moment, the doorbell rang. I jogged to the door and opened it to reveal Jimin in his sleeping clothes; joggers and a jumper. How typical of him to show up like this.

"Jagiya~~~ I missed you!" he exclaimed, voice full of delight, wrapping his muscular arms around me before letting go and letting himself in.

"You just saw me yesterday during class, pabo." I told him. Instead of replying with an answer like a normal, sane person would, he kissed me to shut me up, which I must admit, made me blush.

"Is this your kimchi fried rice? It looks horrible! Oh well, anything for my jagiya, even if it means getting food poisoning!" he said cheerfully, and I just smiled at his silliness.

We sat down on the couch, turning the television on. To my luck, he did not ask about the third plate. 

"So, you're Jimin." a deep voice called out from behind us. My heart ached in dread as I shrunk back in the couch, hoping its cushions would swallow me up whole so I wouldn't have to face this brewing disaster. 

"Yes, and who are you? Why are you in my girlfriend's house? I didn't even see you come in." Jimin replied coolly, and I could tell he was growing more suspicious with every passing second.

"I'm Taehyung. Jennie picked me up from the streets and offered me a place to stay."

"You're living with my girlfriend?" he asked, voice hitching.

Oh god, kill me now.

"Yes, but I'm not staying permanently, if you're wondering. Just a place to stay for a while. Carry on, now, I don't want to interrupt you two delightful lovebirds."

Jimin's eyes narrowed at Taehyung as he turned to get his plate of food. He turned to me, grabbing my hand and dragging me to my room.

"Jennie, what was that?" he asked with a cool tone when the door was closed. The fact that he wasn't screaming at me like a normal person would made me feel even more remorseful and guilty.

"I'm sorry, Jimin... I wanted to tell you earlier, but-"

"Then, why didn't you?"

"I'm sorry, Jimin. Please don't get mad at me. I didn't do anything with Taehyung, I swear. I just saw him on the streets and I somehow felt compelled to take him in. I didn't even realise he was around our age until I saw him up close in the light of my apartment. I really didn't mean to hurt you, Jimin... mianhae."

Jimin said nothing in reply, and simply ran his hands through his luscious hair. My heart felt like it was being wrenched in all directions, tears threatening to spill any moment. I felt so guilty for hurting Jimin like this... he had always made my dark periods joyful, cheered me up when I was down, and been the most loyal and faithful boyfriend I could ask for. I just wanted to help Taehyung out - hell, I just wanted to help someone out.

"Jennie... I'm sorry for overreacting. I should have trusted you. I mean, you've been the best girlfriend I could ever possible ask for, and I'm just being an ungrateful bitch.

"The thing is, Jen, you're just so goddamn attractive, and the chances of someone else falling for you are very high. I know I'm not the best-looking person out there, nor the smartest, or the nicest-smelling. There's bound to be someone out there who's better than me, and I just worry you'll fall for him and ditch me."

I let out a sigh of relief, glad he didn't just break up with me right there and then. 

"Jiminie-pabo~~~ you know you'll always be number one in my heart. I love you no matter what, okay? There maybe more attractive, better-smelling and definitely smarter people out there, but you'll always be the most attractive and best-smelling person to me."

"Not smartest?"

"Of course not, pabo."

Jimin let out a tiny chuckle, and I was glad raging Jimin was gone. Suddenly, Jimin got serious again.

"Jennie... sometimes - sometimes I regret not telling you how I feel exactly. I know I say I love you, but I never really... I never really show appreciation for your features. Yesterday, when we were grabbing lunch at the cafeteria, and you were eating your disgusting mustard sandwich, I stared at you for a long time and acknowledged how perfect you are. You make me complete, and I couldn't thank you enough for that. I wanted to tell you that you were beyond perfect, but when you turned back at me, my mouth just became dry and any words I had earlier disappeared. 

"Aish, I don't understand how you can be so freaking pretty. It's unbelievable someone like you exists. You are a living doll, Jennie. Everything about you is so perfect. Your appearance, your heart, and your ability to make me smile. You make me go crazy, Jennie Kim. I love and hate you for that."

I stood there, mouth agape, eyes wide and hands at my sides. His touching words hit me like a brick. That was probably the most romantic thing a guy has ever said to me. 

"Jimin... I feel exactly the same way about you. I just... I don't really know how to explain it and put it into words, but the effect you have on me is insane. I love everything about you - your hair, your almost-invisible eyes, your heart, and your lips. I - I love it when you kiss me. The way they feel against mine..."

I look down, cheeks flushing at my confession. Was that too big of a confession to make?

All questions I had burning at the back of my mind immediately vanished when Jimin leaned down to kiss me. He grabbed my waist, and my hands slowly made their way up to his neck. I shut my eyes tight, enjoying the moment between us. Jimin and I weren't a very romantic couple - but I was glad Jimin had the courage to tell me how he felt about me.

I wasn't the best and most loyal partner on this planet. But, Jimin was. He was loyal, caring, trusting... I just hoped I could live up to his expectations.