Owning Up

Chapter Eleven

It's been a secret for so long.

THEY have been a secret. At first it had been because they wanted their space, and then it was because they feared the more they normalized their relationship the blurrier the line between private and professional would get, because if it got out that Raven and Damian Wayne were dating Robin's identity could be compromised and then they'd just gotten used to it so they'd just kind of gone with it. But they no longer have the first two of those excuses because obviously the lines become blurred. It'll probably put everyone at risk if SOMEONE doesn't know, so they tell Kori. (Because she's the leader.) And she's upset that they kept it hidden for so long but she understands. She doesn't tell anyone though, not even her fiancé because it isn't her place.

And then a few days later Damians sitting on the couch reading when his katana gets tossed at him. He looks up to see his girlfriend standing a few feet away from him.

"I want you to teach me how to defend myself," she says. He raises an eyebrow. "You know level one hand to hand." "But that's not enough, what happened on Risa proves that without my powers I'm a liability. I want to be able to defend myself without relying on magic." "It'll be hard for you; it'll be like when Cassandra was learning to get by without her powers." And training her had been hard because it's hard to adapt to something like pretending you don't have the powers when you've become so used to them, and even harder he imagines to adapt when you were born with them. But he senses that her resolve doesn't waver ('Of course it doesn't, she's as stubborn as I am when she wants to be' he thinks) "You thought her, so teach me."

(Kori's very pleased with Ravens idea of becoming less reliant on powers but the fact that now when they fight they decide to take it out on each other in the training room does worry her a bit. Just a bit. But given what she knows of their relationship she knows that no matter how irritated they are with the other they'd never hurt each other. So she consoles herself with the fact that it's a productive way of channeling their emotions.)

*****

Dick and Kori do not get married in a church. There are a number of reasons for this including the fact that Dick isn't very religious and Kori...well Kori's from another planet, but the main one would probably be the fact that had they had a church ceremony, Raven, one of their closest friends (and a bridesmaid) wouldn't be able to attend. So yeah, they don't get married in a church.

Instead they have a lovely sea side wedding. Alfred officiates. It's really beautiful, not just the setting but the emotions there. (Except maybe for Dicks panicking and breaking down with wedding jitters but let's just ignore that.) Kori's white silk dress hugs her figure up to her knees before splaying out in a fishtail. The sleeves hand off her shoulders and there's sparkly lace down the bodice and up to her waist. It's a stark contrast to her flaming red hair and orange tinted skin but she looks beautiful never the less. The bridesmaids, Raven, Cassie, Barbara wear spaghetti strapped lilac colored dresses. And the ceremony leaves many people misty eyed and has Cassie swooning.

"Ever wonder what your wedding will be like?" She asks Raven while they watch Dick and Kori have the first dance. And...she really hasn't. "Not really...." Cassie gives her shoulder a playful nudge "Aw c'mon, you have to have SOME idea" Raven sighs because she'll never be rid of this till she gives dark haired girl an answer. "It'll be small, private and there'll be candy floss." Wonder girl gives her a kinda weird look at that last one and Raven just laughs.

"Who's that?" she asks a little while later, when she joins Damian by his spot near the drinks table. He's watching Dick talking to a woman with long blonde hair off to the side. Damian's silent for a few moments. "Her name's Artemis, she and Grayson were on a team together when he was still a Robin." And Raven notices that HER Robin is trying not to glare at the blonde (keyword; Trying). "Is she bad news?" she asks. Damian sighs and runs a hand through his hair; it's a little longer now. "...Not exactly. She and Grayson haven't been on the best of terms since another one of their team mates died. From what I know she blamed him for it." Damian's green eyes narrow. "It happened a year before I came to live with father, Grayson was still affected by it and I don't think she helped much." Damian looks over at the two again, Dick is smiling, it's a little strained but she senses nothing but guilt and regret from the woman. They look like two old friends who hurt each other and are now trying to make amends. With his mostly cheerful attitude and how happy he is with Kori, Raven sometimes forgets the hurt and pain that she knows Dick keeps buried inside.

(But Dick and Artemis are talking with Megan and Kalduran and they look happy so the day doesn't go bad.)